6.9 Sidewinder testing

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Well, it's 5:30am............coffee is brewing. I drove 9 hours round trip yesterday to pick the Banks kit up instead of waiting for it to arrive Monday. I grabbed a couple of odds and ends when I was back in Cali as well. I figure since this is the temp motor and the begining of IDI testing I might as well throw as many combos at this as possible and see what she does. I am gonna run the Banks TE06H charger initially, then swap over to my stock
HX35 and then to a modified HX35. All 3 of the spools I am going to run are gated so, I am going to run some hose through the firewall and run a valve that i can control in the cab so I can block the wastegate and see what the differences are. I am also going to install an IAT sensor so I can see how far I can push each turbo until they start pumping hot air. I also grabbed an intercooler so after running all 3 setups without the IC, I will repeat again with the IC.

I am already prejudice in the matter as I belive the modded HX is gonna be the winner. It might spool a little later but it will give a lot more after it's lit. I will try to stick to raw data and not go completely based on butt dyno.

Few more cups of Joe and I'll start twirlin' some iron.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll fit right in around here. :D Glad you didn't get chased off.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear the results of the HX35- have been thinking about trying one of those on my truck too.

Additionally I have a Schwitzer S200 that I really wish I could try...but, the good one I have is mounted on my Thunderbird, and the other one which was first on my car sounded like a dremel whenever it started to spool (compressor wheel was hitting the housing). Ah well.

Part of the reason I want to try it is because dimensionally it's actually pretty close in size to our turbos, but when I bought them they had factory 20 psi wastegates on them:eek: which tells me they should be able to make good boost for us.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Well, first road block, damn exhaust bolts are stuck, soaked em' down with the wd, what will i do to pass the time................Oh a beer...............

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah...have fun with those exhaust bolts- you will be cussing Ford and International alike!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want something a little more potent than WD-40 Kroil is best, or PB Blaster if you can get it. My son did a 10th grade science fair project where we proved PB Blaster was vastly more effective than WD-40, and others have experience with Kroil that says it is even better, but it is harder to get.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those exhaust manifold bolts are a real pain. Don't snap one off. Trust me, they are a huge PITA to get out.:mad:

Heath

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
Those exhaust manifold bolts are a real pain. Don't snap one off. Trust me, they are a huge PITA to get out.:mad:

Heath

JINX, you have almost guaranteed what is gonna happen now, geez, thanks man.