6.9 into 1990 F150 4x4

godblessmud

Reaction score
Maybe i will recognize a few of yall from the various other truck forums out there...

Anyways truck is 1990 F150 4x4 currently has 302 / M5OD tranny

Im debating between 3 different options currently
1. Stroke a 351 to 393 cubes
2. 460 gasser swap
3. 6.9 swap

Say i want to swap to a 6.9L IDI with the T18 (or would that still be a NP435?) 4 speed.

Can i just use 6.9 motor mounts from an 80-86 F series?

If i decided to run a ZF 5 speed is the bellhousing the same or does anyone sell/make a converter for that (id rather not drill it out)

What all would i have to upgrade on the fuel delivery system?

Anything yall can tell me about this swap is much appreciated!

(More about truck for anyone curious 1990 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 6" suspension all springs nitrogen charged shocks, 35" Pro Comp extreme MTs, 302 efi alcohol soaked air filter, exhaust dumping after 1st cat, HD aluminum rad)

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your gonna need a diesel transmission, the bellhousing is bigger. No adaptors that I know of, the good news is your T-case will bolt up to any Ford tranny. I think mounts are different too, and you'll also need a Diesel radiator support to fit the monster radiator in these things. Not sure if 80-86 mounts will bolt to the frame.
I'm workin on an F150 swap too. I'm in the engine building steps right now (see thread 6.9 Build-up)
I got a doner truck so I have the complete wiring harness and Diesel fuel system for my truck but at a minimum you'll need Diesel tank pickups and a fuel selector valve, this is assuming you have dual tanks. For a pump, a holley red will do just fine.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Try talking to Mel(Agnem) as well. He is one of the most knowledgeable IDI owners on this board, and he has swapped a 6.9 into a Bronco, and is in the process of swapping one into a 93 F150 with his son.

godblessmud

Reaction score
I found a running 84 6.9 with the ATS turbo and a 4 speed manual for $600 and can get the red/support but am a little leary of pulling the trigger on this one and then not being able to complete the swap.

what else should i pull from the truck (he is parting it out) to ease this swap? tranny mount or just make my own? 10.25 rear end? i wont mess with the D50 TTB front because a D60 is going in as soon as i find one...

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
is this going to be a "mud truck" or a street truck. The reason I ask is a 6.9 is a lot heavier than a 351. Not sure you want all that "extra" weight on the front axle.

godblessmud

Reaction score
Its a mud truck that i also drive every day to work/school

I have thought about that too, thats alot of weight up front, and the D60 front is still a year or so away

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no street issues with the diesel on a 1/2 ton axle. Both the Bronco and F-150 Flairside ride on factory front axles with F-250/F-350 2WD front coil springs. When you consider snow plow use on a 1/2 ton, the diesel adds no weight over what a blade sticking 3 to 4 feet out in front will add. If you are looking at tires bigger than 33" I would definitely upgrade. If you can behave yourself on the trail, I doubt you will have any problems. To do the swap, pull the gasser out, and remove the factory motor mount brackets. If they are the same as the 302, they will be rivited to the cross member and frame, behind the cross member. You will then need the motor mount plates from the donor. The passenger side will be a direct bolt-in. The drivers side will have 1 hole that will align, but you will have to drill 2 1/2" holes in the cross member for the bottom 2 bolts. Other than that, it is a direct bolt in. Your trans cross member should work, provided that you stay in the same transmission family. As was stated, you need a complete diesel drive train. By using your existing transfer case, you should not have any driveshaft issues. Ford was briliant in their standardization of distances throughout all models. I was able to use a 60" driveshaft out of an F-350 crew cab on my F-150, even though I was using a completely different transmission that was 6" shorter.