6.9 IDI manual to auto swap questions

Pir8Darryl

Reaction score
I just got offered a running 6.9 Ford IDI engine for free. It had a 4-speed manual hooked to it. I've not yet laid eyes on it, so I dont know what's still bolted to it. A friend of mine got a smokin hot deal on the whole truck a couple years ago. He pulled the engine, sold the 4-speed, and scrapped what was left over

How did Ford hook the C-6 to these engines? An adaptor I assume... And what bellhousing pattern C-6 bolts to the adaptor? 390? 460???
Assuming the adaptor is still connected to the engine, will the same one work for both manual and auto?
Anything else I need to know?

Not planing anything, just collecting free parts and expanding my knowledge... Having said that tho, I've had this long running fantasy of droping an IDI into a late 60's to early 70's full sized FLM car or station wagon... So if anyone wants to chew on that fat, you're more than welcome to.

Thanks guys :)

Pir8Darryl

Reaction score
You can't run a C6 gasser tranny to a diesel. They are two different transmissions.
Thank you Doc.

So there is no adaptor? Ford made the C6 with a straight SAE pattern? [or a 6.9/7.3 spacific pattern?]
That being the case, all I need is a diesel spec C6 with TC, a flex plate, and maybe a starter?

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they didn't use an adapter; the C6 itself was different. However the difference between the 460 and 6.9L bellhousings are small; I have read of others doing simple changes to make the 460 trans fit on the 6.9

I don't know about the starter.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
the adapter on the back of the 6.9 or 7.3 is the same be it a manual or auto. i went from a 6.9 to a c6, to a 7.3 which was behind a e4od to a 7.3 c6, then swapped in the zf5. never touched the motor other than to remove flexplate for flywheel.

where are you located? Got a good 4x4 c6 sitting next to my wheel aligner at the shop.

Pir8Darryl

Reaction score
Sw1tchfoot,
Thanks for that info. If you know of any links to what mods are required, please post them up.

Crazyasian,
Thanks very much for that info as well... I'm slowly piecing together grains of wisdom and knowledge to answer my questions. I also appreciate the offer for the trans. Unfortunately, I'm about 1200 miles away from you in Louisville Ky... Funny thing tho, Exactly one year ago yesterday, I lived in Stuart just about 15 miles from you.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Well I am not going to be much closer, but I have a whole mess of the parts you need. A guy nearby switched from auto to a 4 speed and gave away all of the auto specific parts to me, also including the exhaust and tunnel cover. Let me know if you want anything, it is just sitting out back waiting.

The trans has slightly different internals but is the same bolt pattern as the 460 C6.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online