6.9 idi Garrett turbo

shocktrooper

Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up a Garrett turbo off a 6.9 with the ATS exuast housing. Great looking turbo but I want to put new gaskets in it since its on my work bench already. I just can't seam to find a deal kit for it. Anybody have a seal kit number or where I could find one. Thanks.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know there are different versions of the ATS kit. Did you buy an entire kit, or just the turbine?

shocktrooper

Reaction score
I have no idea I took it off a motor a guy gave me for payment. The exuast hoisting for the down pipe is stamped ATS and the boost side is Garrett. I'm just looking for a new gasket or o ring set for it so take sure it doesn't leak on me befor I put it on my pickup.

Wvdirtroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local performance/ turbo shop should stock seals and so forth. I'm not 100% sure if there is a specific kit for that turbo, but I know ATS doesn't make them anymore so I would think youll have a hard time getting a "kit" so to speak. Garrett however is obviously extremely common and most of their housings etc are pretty standard, ATS or not, so you should be able to pick up the seals needed that way. If you can post a picture of the turbo, that may help some. I'm not well versed with ATS different kits, but I know a thing or two about Garrett's.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its very important you realize these turbos spin really fast and a 10th of a gram out of balance kills them. When you foot is really asking for power the turbo will spin upwards of 120,000 rpm.... That equal to 2000 rpm per second.:angel::D So how are you planning to balance the turbo when you finish the reseal.

shocktrooper

Reaction score
The impellers are balanced already. You don't have to rebalance them if you take them apart.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The impellers are balanced already. You don't have to rebalance them if you take them apart.

This MIGHT be correct but... You have no idea how they might be balanced to the shaft and other impeller. This is no place to cheap out of spin balancing the assembled fans and shaft. Or feel good and run with it as is.. Already balanced. Advice here is free from years of hands on experience finding out what does and doesn't work. I'm not hurt by your post either. I can handle a different opinion.

shocktrooper

Reaction score
I'm not trying. To hurt you in any way. I've rebuilt a few powerstroke turbos and never had a problem. bi shaft play in the turbo I just want to replace the inlet gasket just to make sure I do t have a runaway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle