6.9 glow plug tip issue

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been brought up 100 times but not really getting a clear answer most answers are based on the heads being on the truck I had 3 glow plugs stuck in the head from sweeping 2 I managed to get out via crow bar the last everything came out but the element and a little bet of the bar behind it at the point with compressed air I can get it to bounce up out of the hole 10th of an inch (I can only grab with a tooth on needle nose) any idea on getting this sucker out? Or do I need to take out the brass cap, or is there a way to take out the injected guide?

Sent from my ASUS_A006 using Tapatalk

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it might come out cranking it over and allowing engine compression to push it out?

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Put that cylinder to top dead center and pull the injector out. Push whats left into the pre cup and use compressed air to blow it out the injector hole.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the head off right now the hole to the injector seem smaller then the glow plug hole Idk if its in the precup seems to still be in line with the glow plug hole been using compressed air to try get a grip at the glow plug hole

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If all fails, you could use a long, thin punch and knock the precup out. Then you know that the glow tip is out. This is the easiest way to do this when the heads are off of the engine. When you reinstall the precup, take a center punch and slightly ping the egde of both the precup and the head on opposite sides. This will help to keep your precup in the head.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so update i tried that earlier and instead now the punch is stuck in the injector hole(came out of the handle) and in there like a u shape the ends being flexed into the threads for the injector it kept traveling upward(gonna assume due to the glow plug element that is stuck against something and the bottom of the glowplug hole) so dad and i are at this point drilling into the precup to try to tap it and put a 3/8ths 24 bolt in and either slide hammer on it or use the thread to push it havent figured that part out if this doesnt work im buying a new head lol however i am now currently at home(truck is at my parents 60 miles away) and will be back to work on it monday but if you guys have any ideas feel free im kinda running with scissors at this point. looking online for precups as we speak any suggestions for both precups and refurb heads would be much appreciated

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure you will be able to easily drill the precup. It’s iconnel, so it hard as a rock.

Did the precup move at all? I’m not sure what to suggest at this point. Maybe someone will have an idea.... might be time to visit a machine shop and see what they can do.

Can you get ahold of the punch at all? Is it a steel punch, or something softer?

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steel its these it separated from the handle being so wedged and because there round I can't grab just the rod I was hitting it with aa ball pein hammer hard as hell damn thing didn't even budge
You must be registered for see images attach

Ronw435

Reaction score
Can you weld something to the end of the punch? Maybe a slide hammer threaded rod?
Then us the slide hammer to at least get the punch out.

uloadit

Reaction score
THIS IS OLD SCHOOL !! LESSON LEARNED. always allways buy the right tool to do the right job!! this why your in this. predicament

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tiny neodymium magnet glued in the end of a straw? Those little ones that are found in hobby shops and home depot and are often used to hold cardboard flaps on gift boxes in place.

I am thinking a stack of them glued with strong glue into the end of a plastic drinking straw.

At least it might let you fish it into position to grip it with something more potent.

psy9zach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to be fair I spent 6 hours driving around bought multiple punches and those where longest so though I had the right tool for the job I appreciate all the help guys, just decided I was worried i hurt the injected seat so I just bought a refurb head from American head cylinder done messing around with this sometimes just gotta ask at what point does time outweigh the money. Not to change topic here my brother keeps saying well your in this deep why don't you put your turbo on I have the snail and the y pipe what else goes into turboing these, it has a higher pressure pump on the truck already but only e code injectors any help would be appreciated

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online