6.9 fuel filter and water separator

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally, I understand if you were to remote mount the thing, the 6.9 filter uses the same base as the filter for the DT466 in many IH applications and for that you could get a much taller filter, either 6 micron with no H20 sep or 10 mic, w/ and integral water sep. I don't remember part numbers as I was too chicken to remote mount.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
This is great info guys. I rather stay with the 6.9 filter head using a filter water separator combination if I can find one than buying a new head and filter. I tried to contact fram but nothing yet, will call fleetguard next and see if they can cross refer the part # and find Me one that comes with a water separator.

Thank You.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only disadvantage is that you might break the glass bowl at an inconvenient place in which case you best have a spare or a safe and relatively convenient way to bypass it in an emergency.

That glass is so thick that one would more likely knock a hole in the filter canister before breaking the glass; but, just for such occassions, I carry a few double-ended JIC couplers, such that I can simply dis-connect the INLET and OUTLET JIC-swivels, connect them instead to the double-ended fitting, and completely bypass the separator. ;Really

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I used a 7.3 head on my6.9 with what I believe is a Fleetguard FS1281 with the stock IDI bowl....It's late and I'm beat so my number could be wrong.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well I called a wix dealer and He found Me a filter with the same thread as the 6.9l ff but with a water separator in it, only problem is the filter is longer but it is a start. here is the link

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the one I meant Exekiel. If you remote mount it that should work great. That won't clear the valve cover on an IDI but maybe with the Cummins in there things are different.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking getting another 6.9 filter head and mount that where my old seperator was and use that long IHC application filter. With so many guys swich over to 7.3 heads, there's got to be one laying around for real cheap. Then you'll have the best of both worlds: a 6 micron stock fuel filterand a 10 micron water seperator with a drain and no plastic bottom to leak or break.

So who's got a 6.9 filter head they're willing to give up? pm me.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That's the one I meant Exekiel. If you remote mount it that should work great. That won't clear the valve cover on an IDI but maybe with the Cummins in there things are different.

Yes I though it was when I read dt360, it is a little lower then a stock filter at 5 or 6 micron but it looks like a good candidate.

Btw this isn't for My 93, I still have the 7.3l head on that one I just made a little new bracket for it. This is for another truck the 84 with the 6.9l it sill has the stock lift pump and works so nice I can't bring Myself to replace it with an electric pump yet but the fact that there is nothing stopping water well I don't think I want to take that chance.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score