6.9 Exhaust System

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there much of a gain on a 6.9 with turbo to go with a 4” vs 3.5” exhaust system? Are there any good kits out there?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It won’t make as much of a difference as a turbo, but when I straight piped I dropped 200* in egt and when I went to a 3” exhaust from y pipe back it dropped another 150*

You won’t gain any power without adding more fuel by adjusting the fuel screw. A better intake setup compliments it well

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so 3.5 will probably flow and keep temp just fine. Good to know.

Any kits out there or just piece it together?

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally am not a fan of in front of the wheel dumps, just because imo they are tacky because it makes you look like you cant afford a proper exhaust system.
The dynomax one is great, but the problem is the wait time on it. I have heard it being 6 months out, but if you buy individual pieces from separate vendors you can get the whole kit...
Personally I woud get a kit like you posted second for a 94.5-97 psd and use it. the clamps and such will be similar enough to make it work. And if you need any help getting it to mate up to your current exhaust i would think a local exhaust shop could do it pretty cheap, unless you have a welder.
I ran from the wye back on my idi a 4'' psd kit with muffler from diamond eye, and it dropped my egts about 200 as well. that was worth it for me. I still run the same exhaust just with a coupling in it now to mate it to the downpipe since I am now turbo'd

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan then. I’ve got a welder and could run the psd kit from the down pipe on back. I’d probably get a section of 4” to replace the smaller tube at the front of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are going straight pipe, no muffler? I am trying to decide if am am happy with mine. I think it is just a little too cackly for my tastes, but i think i am going to leave it for now. Although mine let's out a ways behind the driver's seat...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are going straight pipe, no muffler? I am trying to decide if am am happy with mine. I think it is just a little too cackly for my tastes, but i think i am going to leave it for now. Although mine let's out a ways behind the driver's seat...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I've considered it, but I'd prefer something with a muffler. Not against straight pipes but I like my neighbors and my job has me driving around at all hours. Hate to be the one that wakes everyone up at 0-dark-30 for lack of a muffler. :)

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run 4 inch side dump on my truck and most say it's like a log truck to them just normal sounds around my town lol when cruising it's more like a 6.0 just whistles

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you dont have a turbo you need some back pressure otherwise you will loose bottom end power. no reason to go over a 3" system

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you dont have a turbo you need some back pressure otherwise you will loose bottom end power. no reason to go over a 3" system

That’s just not true, backpressure is just resistance to flow

Everyone seems to confuse back pressure with an appropriately sized exhaust to allow scavenging. Even gassers don't need "back pressure". A properly sized exhaust will allow the exhaust pulses to draw each other out, something an oversized exhaust is unable to do as efficiently.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s right, and even if you did 7 inch exhaust, it won’t make a noticeable difference because the exhaust manifolds are still a bottle neck in the system and regardless of what size exhaust you use the manifolds and ports still dictate the majority of the cylinder scavenging, which our stock cylinder heads do very well, even out flowing many aftermarket gas cylinder heads