6.9 diesel won't start, 1984 F-250

Tomteriffic

Reaction score
glow plug relay clicks continuously while the key is on but the engine won't start. before this issue of not starting, I would turn on my key, wait about 4 seconds and then start right up. Now, I turn on the key, the glow plug relay clicks multiple times but won't start. I replaced the glow plug relay but that was not the problem, it still won't start. can someone tell me what to look for now?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would suspect that your glow plug controller is bad. The 6.9 style controllers have a reputation for failing. Personally, I haven't heard of one that makes the relay click continuously, but that doesn't mean a lot. There's quite a bit that I don't know about these engines. The clicking is (most likely) the relay being turned on and off by the controller, which is what leads me to suspect the controller. You will also need to check your glow plugs to see if they're burned out or not. If they are still good, you can manually activate the relay. First unplug the controller to keep it from activating the relay. Then you can unhook the purple wire where it plugs onto your relay(it is purple from the factory but may have been messed with on your truck). Then you can run a jumper wire from the positive on the battery to that terminal on the relay. If the relay acts normally, then you should be able to start your engine and you've found your problem.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The 6.9 style controller/relay set up clicks when going on and off. It doesn't click multiple times like the 7.3 style does. The click doesn't have anything to do with the condition of the glow plugs. It's also a louder clicking noise than the 7.3 style.

Jim993

Reaction score
I would first try providing power to the glow plugs by jumping the glow plug relay for 8- 10 seconds and see if it starts. In the picture below, the two large copper terminals are the power flow through the glow plug relay to the glow plugs. Jumping across them bypasses the glow plug relay and the glow plug controller. If it starts with this procedure, either the relay or the controller is at fault.

To further diagnose, if you jump positive battery power to the pink wire terminal on the glow plug relay, the relay should stay on and power the glow plugs. If it does not stay on as long as you jump power to the pink terminal, the relay or relay ground is bad. The black rubber connector opposite the pink wire terminal goes to ground.

On my truck I have a momentary push button circuit which bypasses the glow plug controller because if the controller circuitry fails in the on position it will burn out the glow plugs. The push button circuit is the bright pink wire connected to the glow plug relay. You can see just to the right of the bright pink wire the disconnected dirty pink wire with a black push on connector on the end.

Glow plug on time depends on temperature, I use 7 seconds if the engine is cold but around 60 degrees. Colder requires longer, I use 10 seconds if the engine is cooler. If the engine is outside in very cool weather you may need a block heater. My truck is garaged and never needs longer than 10 seconds. Someone else can comment on really cold glow plug on time maximum. too long and you risk burning out the glow plugs.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tomteriffic

Reaction score
Thank You for the information and pictures of the relay and wiring. I did the same thing that you have done. I put a wire from the relay to my dash and put in a switch. I turned on the switch and counted to 10 and tried to start it. Nothing different, it would not start. I then checked my glow plugs. 6 of them showed good, the 7th was bad. I have not checked the 8th one yet because it was getting dark and cold so I came in for the night. I will check the 8th one tomorrow. the reason I did not check it tonight is it is very hard to get to it in the back. It appears that I may have to take somethin off so I can get to it. My question now is, how many glow plugs have to be bad before it will not start? Will one bad glow plug keep it from starting?

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can start the truck with 7/8 glow plugs working. I had 3 or 4 bad and could still get my truck started in Alaska. Do you have a block heater? That could get you up and running until you find the problem. If it’s the controller I would swap over to a manual gp system and bypass the controller completely. It’s fairly easy and you could find a thread on here telling you how step by step.

Tomteriffic

Reaction score
You can start the truck with 7/8 glow plugs working. I had 3 or 4 bad and could still get my truck started in Alaska. Do you have a block heater? That could get you up and running until you find the problem. If it’s the controller I would swap over to a manual gp system and bypass the controller completely. It’s fairly easy and you could find a thread on here telling you how step by step.

Tomteriffic

Reaction score
Yes Mr. Baily, I have already bypassed the controller and installed a manuel switch in my dash. It still will not start. I live in West Central Texas so as a rule it does not get too cold in the winter here. There are times when it gets really cold but most of the time it don't get below 35 degrees at night. I changed the relay and installed a bypass switch so as to by pass the controller, I have brand new batteries and diesel fuel in my tanks. Also installed a new fuel filter. I have tested the glow plugs and 7 out of 8 show good. I do not know anything about these diesels so this is all a learning experience to me. There is a place near the fuel filter that looks like a valve stem on a tire for air. Is that for putting air in or is it for bleeding air out? My truck will not start so I'm thinking maybe it has air in the system?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Yes Mr. Baily, I have already bypassed the controller and installed a manuel switch in my dash. It still will not start. I live in West Central Texas so as a rule it does not get too cold in the winter here. There are times when it gets really cold but most of the time it don't get below 35 degrees at night. I changed the relay and installed a bypass switch so as to by pass the controller, I have brand new batteries and diesel fuel in my tanks. Also installed a new fuel filter. I have tested the glow plugs and 7 out of 8 show good. I do not know anything about these diesels so this is all a learning experience to me. There is a place near the fuel filter that looks like a valve stem on a tire for air. Is that for putting air in or is it for bleeding air out? My truck will not start so I'm thinking maybe it has air in the system?
That is a schrader valve for bleeding the air. Personally, I only use it to see if I have air in the lines when diagnosing hard starts. The best way to bleed the lines, is by cracking open injector lines one at a time. Did you fill up the fuel filter when you installed it? That could be working against you. Does your voltage gauge drop when cycling the GPs?

Rock

Tomteriffic

Reaction score
I grounded my test light and tested the wires that snap on my glow plugs but the wires are not hot even with my starter switch and by pass switch on. I am getting fire to my relay but nothing in the wires that snap on the glow plugs. I think those wires are supposed to be hot so as to heat the glow plugs, am I right? Can someone tell me why the wires that snap on the glow plugs are not hot when I turn on my keys and bypass switch?

Tomteriffic

Reaction score
That is a schrader valve for bleeding the air. Personally, I only use it to see if I have air in the lines when diagnosing hard starts. The best way to bleed the lines, is by cracking open injector lines one at a time. Did you fill up the fuel filter when you installed it? That could be working against you. Does your voltage gauge drop when cycling the GPs?

Rock
It was starting immediately everytime. Then one day when I tried to start it, the glow plug relay would click but the truck would not start. Then the water pump started leaking so I took it to a mechanic in town to replace the waterpump and I also told the mechanic that the relay was clicking but the truck wouldl not start. I hauled it into town on my trailer to the mechanic. Anyway the mechanic called me and told me that the problem was the batteries were not good so they removed and replaced the batteries with new ones and he said it now starts good. When I went to get it, it started but not immediately, I had to crank on it a while before it started. I then drove it home. Later when I started to use it, I noticed that it took a while to start, it would not start immediately like it used too. Then the second time I tried to start it at home it would not start at all, and it has been sitting there ever since. I am retired now but as a young man I was a gasoline mechanic so I thought, I can fix this thing myself so this is where I am at now, trying to figure out what went wrong with my 6.9 that it won't start. I am begining to think maybe it has air in the system. The mechanic in town put a new fuel filter on it, maybe he did not fill up lthe filter. I will take the filter off and see if it is full of fuel, maybe thats my problem.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
It was starting immediately everytime. Then one day when I tried to start it, the glow plug relay would click but the truck would not start. Then the water pump started leaking so I took it to a mechanic in town to replace the waterpump and I also told the mechanic that the relay was clicking but the truck wouldl not start. I hauled it into town on my trailer to the mechanic. Anyway the mechanic called me and told me that the problem was the batteries were not good so they removed and replaced the batteries with new ones and he said it now starts good. When I went to get it, it started but not immediately, I had to crank on it a while before it started. I then drove it home. Later when I started to use it, I noticed that it took a while to start, it would not start immediately like it used too. Then the second time I tried to start it at home it would not start at all, and it has been sitting there ever since. I am retired now but as a young man I was a gasoline mechanic so I thought, I can fix this thing myself so this is where I am at now, trying to figure out what went wrong with my 6.9 that it won't start. I am begining to think maybe it has air in the system. The mechanic in town put a new fuel filter on it, maybe he did not fill up lthe filter. I will take the filter off and see if it is full of fuel, maybe thats my problem.
At this point, the filter has been filled since it was running, but it would still be a good idea to remove the filter. If it is not %100 full, then you have air intrusion problems which are very common with these engines. You will have to let it sit overnight before checking the filter.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I am getting fire to my relay but nothing in the wires that snap on the glow plugs. I think those wires are supposed to be hot so as to heat the glow plugs, am I right? Can someone tell me why the wires that snap on the glow plugs are not hot when I turn on my keys and bypass switch?
Forget air, batteries, and all of the other things. This, right here is the problem. You're right. No power to those wires, means no power to the glow plugs, means no start by normal means. Somewhere, between the relay and the glow plugs, you have a bad connection or a broken wire(s). A common place to have a connection issue with the glow plug wires is in the main engine wiring harness plug that's on the passenger's side fender, right in front of the HVAC box. You'll see a relatively large bundle of wires coming over the passenger's side valve cover and going toward the fender. There's a plug in that bundle and that's the one I'm talking about. Look at it carefully. You'll see two larger wires. Those are your glow plug wires. You may also see the plastic covering looking discolored or even melted. If it is, then you have a bad connection right there. Dirt or other crud has a habit of getting inside there and causing extra resistance in your glow plug wiring. If you aren't sure, do an ohms test between the two wires on each side of the plug. There shouldn't be very much resistance. If you do have high resistance, then the easy way to take care of this issue is to remove the wires from the plug and splice them together. Then your glow plugs should start working again.