6.9 Block Pictures (early vs late)

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched this and other sites trying to find out how to tell the difference between the early and late blocks. I've found plenty of info on the serial numbers but different people will tell you too look at different locations on the engine.:dunno So I thought I'd ask if anyone had pictures of around the block heater for both early and late blocks? Thanks

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an '86 so pretty sure it is a later one. It had bolt in oil squirters.
Picture came out big. Right click on it and click view image for a smaller version.

Attachments

• DSC00135.jpg
    DSC00135.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 121

Ford F834

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge you cannot visually tell the difference between an early and a late block by looking at the block heater area. The gusset across the front of the block is different, but this is of little use unless you are looking at a bare block. There are pictures in this article:

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2006/07/rebuilding-the-international-6-97-3l-powerstroke-engine/

It really is best to check the block serial number. It is stamped on the flat space on the block next to the injection pump on the driver's side of the engine. It looks like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

...but hopefully with more favorable numbers! Check this chart:

You must be registered for see images attach

Hopefully that helps. The stamped SN is where the real info is.

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The SN on mine is: 6.9DU2U021778 so that would make it an early block correct?

Ford F834

Reaction score
The SN on mine is: 6.9DU2U021778 so that would make it an early block correct?

Yes, that is an "early" block. Of course many have run these for years without any issues, even with block heater use, myself included before I knew anything about the cracking problem. Now that I am rebuilding my 6.9 with performance upgrades I will probably seek out a later block...

Giddy-Up

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in North Dakota so it gets plenty cold here, and block heaters are a necessary for my gasser rigs even. The trucks history (the best I know) is that the engine was toast and the truck sat until mid 90's when a new one was found then was rebuilt/restored, sat around again then was sold to the rebuilders brother who had it garage kept for 5+ years putting on only around 10k. So this truck has been ran hard and killed in around 10 years engine & body wise. Next summer I plan to turbo/stud it along with and a new pump so I don't want to risk a crack and having to find a new block. But I'll start looking anyway for a spare one to attempt to rebuild.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7