6.5 starting/fuel delivery trouble

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. So 2 days ago we went to get a load of hay and on the way back the truck died like it lost fuel prime. So after awhile of cranking with the accelerater to the floor we got it to start. Well long story short yesterday it died and it wouldn't start. Well we went and got a fuel filter and ordered a glow plug relay as they relay is going out and it doesn't want to start without the glow plugs going out. So I pulled out the fuel filter and it was black you couldn't even shine a flashlight through it. Well after changing that and a lot of cranking later it started. We had no trouble until today when I went to get the glow plug relay and after changing it. The truck wouldn't start. So I have read and I hear of lift pumps going out and I did the test with the t valve and no fuel. I also hear of a osp I wandering if I have this and where is it located? Note: the truck is a 1993 Chevy 6.5 td with mechanical injection with 231xxx miles. It use to be a state highway truck and I do believe it scattered a turbo at one point in its life And the top end of the motor has been rebuilt. Also what model turbo was on that year of truck because it now has a gm-4

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Do you have a mechanical fuel pump or electric???
If electric, you do have a ops(oil pressure switch) IIRC is just above the oil filter.

Also not sure where you are, but here (80-90's °F) should be able to start without glowplugs.

Evan Adams

Diesel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thankyou for repling. I was working on it the other day and found the problem. The spacer between the battery cable on the passenger side was only alowing it to use 1 battery so it wasnt able to crank over fast enough.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 6.5's have an OPS, location it the only thing that changes. Some blocks have them in the valley under the lower intake, oters have them in a port behind the DS head (kinda toward the firewall and toward the center).

Not a bad idea to retest the lift pump while the truck is running. The pump is triggered but the OPS when it sees oil pressure at the port. Key on 12v power to the lift pump isnt a bad idea and relayed 12v power using the ops to trigger the relay is an even better idea.