6.2 Turbo - dead accelerator pedal

Tex06

Reaction score
'86 CUCV with a Banks Turbo kit on it. Has been sitting a lot the past few years and the problem is worse everytime I drive it but now it's at least repeatable.

Upon startup, accelerator works fine. Can drive usually without issue in 1st/2nd gear. As I get on the highway, it'll accelerate fine but as soon as I let off the pedal, the pedal goes dead. I can floor it, I can pump the accelerator, I can hold it (that's usually what I end up doing) and at some point in time the throttle comes back (usually I've got it held down too much and it sounds like I'm goosing it). In the meantime, I've just merged onto the highway, gotten up to 60mph then fell back down to 30 mph then I'm accelerating again.

Basically anytime I try to hold my speed then let off the pedal completely, it'll go dead. Sometimes for a second or two, sometimes for 15-20 seconds. I have a guess as to what it may be but want to hear y'all's thoughts. I haven't found a local shop that is willing to work on mechanical diesels so I'll likely be fixing it myself.

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the ip is gummed up internally causing it to stick at no/low throttle. Might try a hot treatment in the fuel system to clean it

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Is your fuel tank properly vented? Try again with the fuel cap ajar a little?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online