6.0 powerstoke

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brad, I had a 97 powerstroke that I ran on veggie. Had 2 tanks on it, one with fuel and the other with veggie. I have the veggie filtering system already set up in the garage. Ran the truck stock just would switch to the fuel tank a few minutes before shut down. I have gone on some other sites to research! Most of them are pertaining to the kit that they sell. Im looking for DIY type info. oh and as far as just dumping some veggie in the take. I've learned my leason on that with the 87 IDI that I started out with. Thank you, Mike

Thats really the best way to go, having a dedicated tank.
I'll have to post a couple of pics but I have the normal 2 tanks, added a 3rd tank for wmo.
Along with the tank I added two, 3-port switching valves, some wiring, fuel line, and extended the heater hoses to run coolant in/out of the wmo tank.
So I can start up on clean diesel then switch over once it's warm, likewise on shutdown letting clean fuel "purge" the fuel system. I do that even when the weather is "warm", think it's better on the whole fuel system.
Thanks for the info Mike. (Do you know who has the 97???, buy back???)

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't even want to sell the 97 but it needed so much work. It needed to be taken off the road for extensive repair. I got the new truck for $3000 and sold the 97 for $2000. Between work, kids and dealing with ex's. I just didn't have the time.
The guy I bought the new truck from had just gone through a divorce and was desperate for cash.

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I had to do the tie rod ends, and the whole drag like. Might need to do the right side ball joints. It also needs tires, left front fender and maybe front bumper. But other than that its in good shape. I couldn't pass it up!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 6.0, and would NEVER run any fuel through it that was not commercially available, high turn over diesel from a pump. The 6.0 has 2 fuel filters, a primary in the HFCM (Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module) which is the primary filter, water separator, lift pump and fuel heater. It takes a 36mm socket to remove the filter cap, and is located inside the frame rail below the drivers door. If its a 4x4 it is right next to the transfer case. It is a 10 micron filter with a water block membrane or water block media. There is a secondary fuel filter on the engine, the small canister next to the oil filter. It is a 4 micron filter and fuel pressure regulator. This is the last step before it is delivered to the heads and the injectors. A decent set of rebuilt stock injectors are about $200 EACH. One bad batch of "fuel" could cost you $1600+...... I've had mine 7 years and have only run pump diesel and are on the factory injectors at ~133,000 miles. To me, pump diesel and HIGH QUALITY (I.E. OEM Filter Kit) is cheap insurance......

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've talked to a few people running waste oil in the LB7 duramax... simular fuel system and problematic injectors.

Is it possible... certainly is. Are you willing to risk the damage/cost of repair? Thats up to you.

As its been said, the injection system on the 6.0 is a LOT different then the 7.3 and can be a nightmare to work on. If you want to go through with it, you need to make sure the oil is clean (centrifuge), thinned down to the same viscosity as pump diesel (use a hydrometer)... and heated if you decide to go with veggie oil.. I prefer to heat any alternative fuel as it seems to burn cleaner that way.

Twin tanks would be the only way to go... and I would make certain that the engine is up to temp before switching fuel sources as a cold engine makes for coked injectors and incomplete fuel burn... ask me how I know :)

If you do coke the injectors or destroy one... keep in mind the labor its going to take to replace them and their cost.

Good luck either way man.
-Chris

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I saw where someone was saying he runs it in his 6.4 psd.
Kinda shocking, but if you can afford to do it right, by all means.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk