6.0 power down?

LUCKYFORD

Reaction score
05 6.o 2wd 130 thousand idles good and then seems loaded like the compressor comes on and loads it but its not the ac system runs like a champ like a 6.0 should then gets weaker not to bad. but aggravating? everything has been kept up... egr? injector?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You can feel a loss of power, or just hear the tone/pitch of the idle change?

I have experienced the same thing. How old are your fuel filters. How many miles on hte oil? What fuel are you using?

The 6.0 is sensitive low fuel pressure, "bad" oil and fuel quality...

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
both.put in treatment the best bosch fuel additive. filter needs changed..

In what way do you determine that Bosch is the best?

OP - also look for boost leaks (leaks in the Charge-Air-Cooler boots).

LUCKYFORD

Reaction score
stanadyne bosch is the best. i use powerservice water diissipation cetane boost hard deposits on the inj nozzles stabilizes fuel!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This could be caused by the fuel filter. If the fuel pressue is low due to a clogged filter, it will cause an "altered" idle.

I would change the fuel filters with a set of Motorcraft filters. That is all that I will use. I also use power service (Silver in summer, white in winter). I have also heard good reviews on Howes.

Maintenance on a 6.0 is CRUTIAL. I would go no longer the 5000 miles on the oil, if you are using a dino oil. No longer than 10000 on fuel filters. Only Motorcraft filters, and a high quality oil, I actually use the Motorcraft oil in the 5qt jugs. Also run only quality #2, or B20 or less. DO NOT RUN TRASH FUELS IN A 6.0L!!!! You WILL DESTROY the injectors. Buy your fuel at a station that has a high turnover (busy, sells a lot of diesel). Trying to skimp on a 6.0L on maintenance or fuels, it WILL cost you.!!!!

Also, as mentioned above. Check for boost leaks. If you have a split or blown boot, or have a crack in the charge-air cooler (intercooler) it will affect power and cause the truck to smoke. You may have to pressureize the system to find leaks, as it may only leak at higher boost pressures. Make sure all the metal boost tubes are seated in the boots and have not blown out of a boot.