53-55 F-100 PU Conversion

addicted

Reaction score
Ok,

I have this posted on the super duty forum as well, but this seems like a good place as well. I have used the search function and found some good links to those who do Cummins Conversions.

I just purchased my first home and actually have a garage and plan on being in my new location for 3-4 years before the Army picks up and moves me.

I used to own a 53 Ford F-100 PU (My first car I ever rebuilt with my dad, I know it has a 55 grill) and I drove this in Highschool. I sold it so I could afford to get married right out of highschool and I want it back. I can't find my old truck so I figured I would do one up on it.

I want to start from scratch, by ripping the entire truck down to nothing and starting from there. But here is where you awesome guys who know way more than I do come in.

I want to stick in a cummins (I know I know but work with me) 12 Valve in or a PSD. I have a feeling the 7.3 is a tad to large for the body and I don't know weight specs but a bit heavier as well. I know there is going to have to be some beefing up and modding under there to take the wieght but the lighter the better. Secondly this truck is not going to be a daily driver. It is purely going to be modded for hot-rodding/drag racing, Plus I can pull more TQ/HP out of the Cummins.

Besides weight and front end work. Wireing of course, and drivetrain substitues, what else do you see being a problem. I know those things drove like a truck and the steering box was crap, and would probably have to work in some sort of powersteering/possibly using the pump from what ever engine I plug in there. I'm going to go with an Auto so need to worry about cutting and installing a clutch. I still do not have the meaasurements but I'm 99% sure there is enough room in there stock for a 5.9L. Of course Motor Mounts would have to be custom made but harder things have been done. No need for AC as it won't be driven that much, Just pop up the ram air vent to the cabin.

I'm not sure if I'm going to go with a twin turbo set up but probably not. Thank you for any input you guys have. I have a feeling this is going to be around a 3 year project and will suck up every dollar I don't have so any suggestions are welcome. This has been a dream of mine for about a year now and I finally have the means and ability to do it. I just hope I don't have to sell my current baby to afford it all. I'm guessing in the ballpark of around 20K by the time it is all done depending on how much the engine/body of the truck will cost me.

Ohh one last thing. I saw that Autoworld did a 59 but that is a completely different truck. Anyone seen anything this old done? Also someone on the superduty forum thought I may be able to use the doge frame and put on a Ford F-100 Body? I don't have either to measure right now. Is this a vialbe option or is it easer to plug and play with the drivetrain components? I know I can order Fiberglass bodies as well to reduce the weight.

Thank you, you guys are awesome

Ohh here is a pic of what the truck will look like. It is my old truck

Attachments

• cruz%20the%20coos%20-99.jpg
    cruz%20the%20coos%20-99.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 13
  • fun%20festival%20alfalfa.jpg
    fun%20festival%20alfalfa.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 5

Dadbrun

Reaction score
I don't know the specific weight on the powerstroke but I know the cummins (or at least my 98 model) weighs in at about 1150 pds.I am almost certain that the powerstroke is much lighter being a V 8 than the long stroke inline 6.

58_Dodge

Proud hater of Ford
Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea. Those F100's are pretty sweet looking trucks.

I've got a 58 Dodge Power Wagon that my father and I put a 93 CTD in, and the swap was fairly easy (the hardest part was finding a doner truck). What we did was we got a 1993 W250 with a 5 speed and 4x4. From here we had two options, either use the '93 frame with all the suspention/motor mounts/spring mounts on it, or put all that onto the Power Wagon frame. We opted for the second, and it was suprisingly easy. The hardest part was getting that bigass 6-cylinder in the place that little flathead 6 was. I don't know what the F100's have for under the hood clearance, and distance from the radiator to the firewall, but you might have to do what we did and cut the firewall and move it back to get the last cylinder in place.

If I were you, I'd find a doner truck and use as much stuff off of that as possible. Plus then, you can sell all the other crap (fenders, doors, hood, etc) off of that truck to get some extra cash.

Good luck with the conversion dude, and keep us posted ;Sweet

addicted

Reaction score
Hmmm. I put an add out there for a donor truck and someone just came to me with a 93 that had been wrecked.

I agree with you that I think I'm going to use the frame on the 56 and beef it up. I could use the frame off the 93 as well though. I have a feeling I will end up doing what you did. Not sure if I'm going to buy the truck though as I'm not even remotely ready for it.

I need to make some measurements but I think the engine will fit in there. If not I can do some cutting in the firewall.

Here is the question and I'm trying to do the research now, but what are the main differences in the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen. If I can get a 1st Gen way cheaper with a truck under it I would do that if all I had to do was throw on an intercooler and a different pump to make it like the 2nd gens. I will do some reasearch but if someone wants to save me the time that would work too :)

Thank you for the support and letting me know what you did. Helps me figure out what I'm going to do.

Also thank you for the wieght on the engine. Will come in handy here soon.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
deff look for a second gen cummins...
imo, the first gens are dogs...plain and simple.

addicted

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I haven't been on this forum much lately. Not to much traffic here compared to anther I've been on. But I did find some really good info here the other day.

http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2583

I decided to go with a 4bta. It will pull more than enough and it will fun to pull that much out of such a small engine. I forget that my heavy 7.3 only has approx 200RWHP so if I can pull the 400 range out of a truck that weighs half as much I will doing pretty good.

Not to mention it meas less fab work on the front end and the rest of the frame. As it wieghs clolser to what is in there now.

If you want to follow the progress I will try and do my best here but you can follow it here as well. Sorry for the competition of the other website. Not sure if it allowed on here, but here it is;

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9795

Ohh and I am buying the truck posted. Should pick it up in Early Dec.

Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828