5" Pipe on 1st Gen PSD?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! I hope you guys don't mind an IDI owner popping his head in here...although I'm wondering if I may get a better response at SDD, I figure I'll at least start here. :)

Two questions.

First, for any of you who've gotten a 5" behind-the-rear-wheel exhaust under a 1st Gen PSD...where did you get the kit from? How well did the pipe get around the rear axle? How much of an issue is/was clearance between the spring and the rear fuel tank and spare tire? Any pictures by chance?

Second, do you know if there was any major frame/suspension/undercarriage changes between 1980 and 1997 that might affect pipe clearance?

I've seen a few 5" kits retailed for '94-'97 PSD's (here for example), but have not been able to get too much in the way of details. I figure that, if there weren't any major changes to the underside of these trucks between 1980 and 1997, one of these kits should also fit an IDI, although some fabrication will need to be done to mate it to an IDI turbo's downpipe.

Any thoughts on this? Am I crazy (as about half of the IDI guys have told me I am)? LOL I know that going much over 3.5" isn't really going to do anything from a performance standpoint, but IMHO a 5" pipe on an IDI just sounds good :Sly ...heard one a couple of years ago (this one was a custom job, and exited in front of the wheel...and that's something I'm trying to avoid).

Thank you in advance!

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim:

do a search for me over on TDS and look at the pics in my sig.

I got my kit off ebay and it is for a 2000 PSD. I had to lose the spare tire and do some modifying where the downpipe meets the pipe ahead of the muffler.

big jake

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim,

I cant give you much in the way of advice, I bought my own 5" tubing and made my exhaust. I also exit infront of the rear wheel, which isnt what you want to do either.

Sorry I cant offer better advice.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
I'd give Dale Isley @ Tymar Performance a call and ask him...he is a good source of information and I have yet to stump him...

-Casey

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all!

Jake, good to see you over here! :cool I actually saw your pictures...looked like a clean install! I remember having some questions, but can't remember them at the moment...have to go back and look again...

Mike, I see...I didn't realize your system exited forward of the wheel. I just looked at the pictures you have, though...how much of an issue has the rear wheel sooting up been?

Casey, I'll have to figure out how to get a hold of Dale...thanks for the heads-up. I also E-mailed RPM Outlet (the ones who sell the system I linked to in my first post), and got a reply this morning telling me to contact the manufacturer directly. Does the name Jones Exhaust mean anything to any of you guys?

I'll call them (and Dale, if I can find Tymar's number) tomorrow or Friday...I would call today, but I'm in school all day -cuss

Thank you all again! ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Mike, I see...I didn't realize your system exited forward of the wheel. I just looked at the pictures you have, though...how much of an issue has the rear wheel sooting up been?

Tim,

I dont know how smokey your IDI is, but in stock trim my PSD wouldnt soot the wheel at all. Then with the Stg I 'jectors and the SCMT tuning it would soot up a little if I was pulling the snot out of it ;Really but wouldnt soot too badly with regular levelheaded driving cookoo .

With the addition of some wildman programming things are pretty sooty now. :Sly

Left rear wheel. :thumbsup:
You must be registered for see images attach

Right rear wheel. ;burnout :peelout
You must be registered for see images attach

Heres Dales number,

(509) 922-TRUK (8785)

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
I've read and been told by several people that you don't want the exhaust exiting in front of you're rear wheels IF you do much 4 wheeling or drive in snow.

Seems the exhaust can heat up the rim/tire enough that it's a issue when it comes to winter 4 wheeling.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike! I don't know exactly how much smoke my truck's putting out yet...with the pipe ending under the cab, the smoke's pretty dissipated by the time it gets out from under the truck, so I almost never see anything. I imagin it's more smoky than your PSD, though :shocked:

Ramprat said:
I've read and been told by several people that you don't want the exhaust exiting in front of you're rear wheels IF you do much 4 wheeling or drive in snow.

Seems the exhaust can heat up the rim/tire enough that it's a issue when it comes to winter 4 wheeling.
I'm actually not surprised by that, but that's a new one for me...OTOH, I don't live anywhere near the snow.

So, I now have a genuine excuse to continue with going behind the wheel, and not just for asthetic purposes... :thumbsup: Too bad I can't do a stack, eh?

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Thank you all!

Jake, good to see you over here! :cool I actually saw your pictures...looked like a clean install! I remember having some questions, but can't remember them at the moment...have to go back and look again...

My install was done by the good folks at

BROWNS VALLEY RV

big jake

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jake, whereabouts are they located? I went to their website, but it seems like all of the pages other than the "front page" are down for the count.

Mike and Casey, thank you for getting me in contact with Dale. I just got off the phone with him...very good guy! He certainly knows the PSD in and out, although he said he hasn't had any experience with an IDI. He wasn't certain about changes in undercarriage and whatnot between '80 and '97, but while he's not certain whether a kit will simply bolt in place or not, he doesn't see a reason why it wouldn't work. I sent him an E-mail as well, and it looks like we'll be able to figure something out...we'll see how it goes, eh?

Thanks again :cool I just have to try and explain to Mel that the dark side guys aren't that bad :D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Thanks again :cool I just have to try and explain to Mel that the dark side guys aren't that bad :D

Let us know how it turns out for ya! :Sly

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Let us know how it turns out for ya! :Sly
Will do ;Sweet I need to talk with a local exhaust shop and see what they can/will do...Dale's got a 5" over axle/tailpipe assembly (along with a 3-4" and a 4-5" adapter) for just over $150 (before shipping), and he suggested that I talk with a local shop about installing. With my inability/lack of equipment to weld -cuss and the very real possibility that the hangers on a "kit" are going to be different enough to require some fabrication, he made the very good point that I'm better off letting a shop do the dirty work, along with supplying the straight pipe if they carry it. Depending on labor rates, with his pipe and a shop putting it in, I'll probably still be ahead of the $350+shipping I was looking at for a kit.

I just need to get the glow plugs and the battery cables done on the truck so I can drive it to a shop. :)

Thanks again!!

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Jake, whereabouts are they located? I went to their website, but it seems like all of the pages other than the "front page" are down for the count.

5003 SR 20

Browns Valley, Ca 95918

about 10 miles east of Marysville,CA on SR20

I did not purchase my exhaust system from them, they only did the install.

big jake

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online