5.4 coil problems

gandalf

Reaction score
My daughter and SIL have a '99 Expedition with a 5.4 engine, mileage unknown. In the three years they've had the car they've replaced two coils, and now need to do another. The engine seems to have a coil for each cylinder. They're paying about $200 for each coil, mostly parts.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this problem, to make the coils more durable? Is this problem likely to cause any additional problems? Is their cost about right?

As always, I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Black dawg

Reaction score
which coil/s are they replacing? the #4 coil fails most often, because of coolant dripping from the heater hose above it. it usually just needs the hose clamp tightened.

stacerbob

Borderline Genius
Reaction score
I second what Black Dawg said. I think there is a TSB about it. Price is about right.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
gandalf said:
My daughter and SIL have a '99 Expedition with a 5.4 engine, mileage unknown. In the three years they've had the car they've replaced two coils, and now need to do another. The engine seems to have a coil for each cylinder. They're paying about $200 for each coil, mostly parts.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this problem, to make the coils more durable? Is this problem likely to cause any additional problems? Is their cost about right?

As always, I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Around here we see coils go bad all the time...they get moisture around them and before you know it you have corrosion, rust then a misfire.
We usually see a rash of these things here in Houston every time we get a hard rain around here also.
I know sometime back #4 coil was a common problem because of a leaky hose clamp on the heater hose over top of #4 coil but I have seen any number of coils have problems....seems like a poor design if you ask me.

You might want to look around and see if you can find those coils in the Standard ignition line...very same part as the Motorcraft with the Motorcraft number ground off and you will very like get a much better price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker