4x4 question

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
recently acquired a 93 7.3 idi 5spd manual 4x4 dually. The 4x4 low gear works but for some reason the high gear doesn't. What could possibly be the issue with the high gear? Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Thank you guys in advance for the help.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean low gear in the tranny or do you mean low range in the transfer case?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that needs rebuilding. There is a planetary gear set in there that probably is shot. The transfer case can be easily removed from the transmission and worked on at your bench or kitchen table ( I rebuild a Chevy 327 on my friends kitchen table ). This is one of those things that needs to be torn down to see what is going on.

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the easiest things first, the shift lever mechanism outside the transfer case is known to let go.
You can bypass it and put a vice grip directly on the case lever so pop it into H4 or H2. The shift
pattern is a straight line at the case so it is pretty easy to unbolt the base of the lever in the cab so
it can float around while you get under there.

Next step would be to see if reverse works in L4, if it doesn't then I would suspect internal damage
in the case.

At that point it would be worth pulling the case and doing a basic rebuild. They are super easy to do,
I did mine and posted it with lots of pictures on here. Mine is a Borg-Warner 1356 but they are all
pretty similar. Rebuild kits are available to do it yourself. If the case is shot, there are used ones
available quite often...

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/1998-e4od-on-the-outside-wait-a-minute.69057/page-9

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

4Lo works in reverse. I will check the shift lever as you were saying. But if it were the shift lever would I not be able to shift in 4 low? I can shift into 4low from the cab and then back to H2. It just doesn't engage H4 when I shift into it.