4WD ZFS542 Reverse Connector, "******" TACH and where in the world is my speedsensor?

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The previous owner played with wiring and snipped of the reverse connector. What reverse connector is it? I need to buy a pig tail for it, and splice it back in.
Second issue, when engine comes close to operating temperature, the tach becomes erratic. I'm pretty sure it's the cam position sensor, but I don't want to spend $60 to find otherwise. Is there anything else I should look into?
Finally, the last issue; 93 with cruise control, 4WD ZFS542, digital odometer.. where in the world is the speed sensor.. It's not on the tranny, it's not on the transfer case... The only speed sensor I found was on the rear transfer case... which I replaced, and it ohms correctly.. however, I still don't have speed or odometer.. wiring problem? doh :]

Other than that, I got my permanent clutch linkage fix in today. Pedal travel feel shorter.... but it works ;Sweet

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
You found it, the VSS is on the rear pumpkin on these rigs.

On the tach sensor sometimes you can get lucky by removing it and cleaning the business end and reinstalling. It's a magnetic pickup so it accumulates crud over the years.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WPT-826 for the reverse light connector... $30... really...
You must be registered for see images

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a NAPA version of the connector -- NAPA ECHLIN EC193. - $15.. $18 with tax and a 5gal NAPA bucket..
You must be registered for see images attach

How would you troubleshoot the VSS? Does anybody know the PIN-OUT on the dash to track it all the way back; rule out any wiring issues.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a good digital meter, and read across the sensor in the rearend with the connector unplugged. You should read in the neighborhood of 1900 ohms across the sensor if it's good.

Like was mentioned for the tach sensor, pull the sensor out of the rearend also. It has a magnet inside, and if you have something generating metal shavings in the rearend, they can get stuck and build up on the sensor.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sensor ohmed ~1880 ohms.. its a brand new one... we scoped the tach sensor this afternoon.. it was normal looking on the scope.. a quick spray of electric cleaner, and its working fine again.. corroded connector probably... tomorrow, i think i am going to tone generate and trace the VSS wires.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do I start with the speed sensor? The VSS is in, ohms correctly... Do I need to check PSOM's grounds? My ABS light is on as well.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TACH is still a bit erratic.. but speedometer is finally working after 5 hours of piddling.... between the beer fridge, home depot, and other chores....

You must be registered for see images attach

note: abs light, and parking light.. back to the ohm meter to figure out why parking light is on when switch is clearly disengaged. abs t-shoot too..

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brake light will also come on for another issue. It is not only the parking brake light.

There is a switch hooks to the vacuum system that turns on that light when it sees a low vacuum situation. Mine is up under the drivers side battery. It is there to alert you to a loss of power brakes before you hit the pedal.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
And low brake fluid, iirc. Switch could be bad.
Not saying nothing is wrong, but my abs light stays on.
The p brake light has starting working more and more. Guess she was rusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a special m/c for abs vehicle? I think I have a regular m/c, and the plug that goes into m/c is disconnected.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a master cylinder you can have. Has the plug I am pretty sure.

trucknorris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Chris,
Appreciate it - but I probably would not get around to install it - it may be easier to put a resistor or jumper on the switch and fool the system... We need to hit up the junk yard again. I'd like to see if I can fish a new seat, and a rear bench. My shopping list is getting smaller... next up is all new rubber for the windows, new door cable, and a latch... and maybe new carpet and headliner. Truck is looking good. The A/C is blowing really cold!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online