4speed questions Im confused?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me again,

i dont remember which one of you told me this so ill ask again.

If one took the bell housing of a diesel ford t18/19 and bolted it to an np435 would the idi engine bolt up an function with the 435's clutch system etc?

If this is correct does anyone know where to get a t18/t19 diesel bell housing to bolt to my np435? How much should i pay max?

Last edited:

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think so, the np-435,t-18 and t-19 all use basically the same clutch(splines, throw out bearing) I think the only differance is when you get into the heavy duties they used 11 and 12" clutch disks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ifn I recall correctly, Ferd in it's infinite wisdom used the same bell housing bolt pattern for the NP435, along with the T18/19 heck if I think back even the NP535 should bolt up I think.

The 435, T18/9 all have the same input shaft spline count and diameter as well, I am not certain of the NP535 though I believe it is the same too.

As for clutch mechanisms, thats a different story; ours being a hydraulic mechanism the clutch fork would have to be changed or modified on the 435 and or a 535 to work with hydraulic setup we use.

Just my 2cents worth hope it helps

BTW the NP 535 was used in medium duty trucks, it's a 5spd 5th being direct not OD, and to best of my knowledge it was never offered in a 4x4 married Tcase setup. I bet it would be sweet in a divorce mount NP205 / NP 535 setup woo hoo

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to worry about working with whatever clutch setup the transmission used, it goes with the bell, not the trans.
Personally, I'd skip the 425 and get the T19 that's boltrd to the bellhousing too, first may not be as low, but, having it syncronised makes it MUCH more usefull.

As for the 535, I have no idea if it will bolt up to an IDI bell, but, I do know there was an O/D version built... I don't remember the details off hand(been a few years now) but, it does exist.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well id like to stick with my 435 because its the original and i would have to mess with less things that way. As for the clutch mechanism, so putting the t-19 bell on the 435 would that allow me to use my manual clutch linkage etc so i could just put the clutch setup on the t19 housing and then reuse my clutch system from the 435? Why wouldn't it, assuming that all the 435's clutch stuff would work on the t19 bell?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you may need to clearance the bracket for the hydro slave cylinder a bit, but, your mechanical linkage should work just fine. You will need to come up with a mount for the engine side pivot ball however.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance