460 Flywheel help

Hardy41

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am planning on installing a zf 5 inmy diesel but I have one question. I have a complete clutch set up and flywheel off of a 460. Can I use the clutch and flywheel from the 460 or do I have to buy a set up for a diesel? The zf 5 that I have is from a diesel. Thanks a lot

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't use the gasser flywheel. Completely different. Clutch will likely work........ if the pressure plate will bolt to an IDI flywheel.

Heath

Hardy41

Reaction score
Ok thanks. It looks like I will be buying a all new Sm flywheel and new clutch it. Thanks for the help heath

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
clutch will not work. gassers did not have a dual mass flywheel. its more like a t19 clutch

Hardy41

Reaction score
Well I have a 97 f 250 kicking around and we just put a clutch in it not to long ago, so I was trying to score some cash and use the clutch and flywheel out of it. But, it looks like I will be buying a new set up for the diesel

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The biggest differances between the gasser and the diesel wheels is the bolt pattern and the number of bolts differances. The diesel takes 9 bolts. Now can a gasser ZF fit a diesel engine.. Sure nuff but you have to drill a couple of holes. Both typ4 and Dr Sutten have both done this.. Heath did it the easiest way. He got a 1/2 plate. Bolted that to the engine adapter. Then set a mag base drill on that with a either 9/16 or 5/8 end mill that had a cutter on the end of it. Then is simple. Just slowly plunge cut into the aliminum case of the ZF... Heath had some great pics of how it done too.

Hardy41

Reaction score
I have seen the threads on installing a zf from a gasser. I have a zf from a diesel and a gasser so know is there any advantage on using a zf from a gasser? I have one from both.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Everything I've read says first and reverse are geared lower in the Gasser ZF than the diesel. I would use it personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat