460 Clutch behind 7.3 with ZF-5

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked all over the net and couldn't find an answer to this question. Will a clutch made for a 460 ZF5 work on a 12.25" SMF converted IDI? The only difference between the two is that the pressure plate fingers on the 460 are a 1/16th of an inch "shorter" (When both are on smooth cement floor, measured from floor to fingers) than the ones on the conversion clutch I just took out. Everything else being equal.

I need to know if that 1/16th of an inch is going to wreak havoc on my clutch engagement/pedal height.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in my opinion 1/16 shorter should not be a problem ,just check the pressure plate with a straight edge some can get concaved quite a bit to the point that they will not grab quite rite,also they will drag .......,the 460 gas pressure plate ,may be a bit lighter duty compared to the diesel ,

IDIMAN94

Reaction score
I dont think the 1/16 of an inch will make a difference. I have a brand new Valeo clutch kit and the instruction/ application guide says it fits 92-97 7.3L Diesel and 7.5L Gas engines. It is a 12.25 for a SMF, so I think the diesel and gas would be the same

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I ended up re-using the "old" pressure plate(1.5yrs) and throwout bearing since I didn't want to have to pull this thing out again any time soon. I had the clutch disc hub go bad on a Perfection/Brute clutch setup and wanted to get this repair done. A local clutch shop had this 460 clutch on the shelf for cheap, so I rolled the dice. the only difference I noted between the two, was that the Brute disc had more springs in it. No good if the hub isn't secure though.

I also switched to 50w synthetic(4 qts), and for a minute when cold, it sounds like it used to, then a chatter that seems faster than the old one picks up. I may need to add a couple more quarts.

I really dislike the hydraulic setup on these. No way to bleed the slave cylinder except use. Leaves the clutch feeling very odd for a day or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726