440,000 on a 86 6.9?

dopeassjackson

Reaction score
thanks for all the quick info all. im not a ford guy by any means, i only know a bit about international diesel engines.

I got 377k miles on my 7.3 still running like a champ!

For a 440k truck, sure looks awesome, nice shape!

PO must have really token care of this truck for it to be looking this sharp with that kind of mileage on it!
im going to take a look at the truck tomorrow morning so we will see if the pics are true. judging by the lack of dents, rust and the amount of chrome thats not rusty has my hopes up.
are chrome rims standard on this truck?

Black dawg

Reaction score
I had a 6.9 in a 4.11 geared 4spd truck with 400k and it was way worn out, was used very hard and minimum maintenance. How do they know the miles but not if the motors been replaced or not?

dopeassjackson

Reaction score
I had a 6.9 in a 4.11 geared 4spd truck with 400k and it was way worn out, was used very hard and minimum maintenance. How do they know the miles but not if the motors been replaced or not?
the owner only had the truck for a year so im going to check the trans bolts for socket marks and the such. so in other words they dont know. i have been looking around a bit and might be able to get a motor for less than 2K. a hone and re ring job would be cheaper in my opinion though.
bottom line is this truck has to be towing by may.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize for my incorrect information. I've been messing around a bit lately with 70's f series trucks. The Dana 80 being in a superduty is correct though. I'd better get more sleep

sootman73

Reaction score
Ford only started using the Dana 80 in 1988.

Pre-88 (heavy duty or not) had Dana 70 or Sterling axle.

for as long as i've been on here i have never heard that ford put dana 70's in these trucks. always dana 60 or 10.25" sterling.

i know dodges had 70's and 80's in there 2500 and 3500s........

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
THat's a beautiful truck for that kind of money, even if you did have to put an engine in it. If it starts up cold OK, Id grab that thing and run! If all you're going to be pulling is 4-5k, you won't hardly notice that. JUst drive it the way the engine wants to be driven, keep it up above 2500 rpm when pulling a hill and it'll do fine.

dopeassjackson

Reaction score
THat's a beautiful truck for that kind of money, even if you did have to put an engine in it. If it starts up cold OK, Id grab that thing and run! If all you're going to be pulling is 4-5k, you won't hardly notice that. JUst drive it the way the engine wants to be driven, keep it up above 2500 rpm when pulling a hill and it'll do fine.
i dont know if you have driven I-81 north of Harrisburg? its got HILLS:eek:. i tow my rockcrawler on a car trailer. i have done the same trip with a 1/2 ton truck.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i dont know if you have driven I-81 north of Harrisburg? its got HILLS:eek:. i tow my rockcrawler on a car trailer. i have done the same trip with a 1/2 ton truck.

If you wanna call those lil ol bumps there hills, I'll humor you , but that truck won't think of them as hills with that little weight behind it. Just floor it and that C6 will kick down if needed and you'll sail right on over. This isn't a half ton, this is a one ton dually with oodles of power and rear end gearing matched to pull ;Sweet Half tons pickups are useless toys for people who own cowboy hats and want to be seen driving around town in a pickup truck, but they are generally useless for actually hauling anything, That F350 you're looking at on the other hand , is a serious piece of equipment. Many a man has made a living hauling hot shots all over the continent with those things. A little ol 5k trailer no problem. My 32ft enclosed car hauler weighs around 10k empty and my truck cruises with it no problem, plus the weight of the car inside

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Nice truck I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I needed it and the body satisfied me. 6k over 81 north of harrisburg is nothiing for those-maybe you will want a turbo if your in a hurry.I pulled a 6500 K trailer over that area mmany times plus it was loaded with 1 -or 2 small dozers at a time. These loads went over that area of I-81. Plenty of truck for the job.

Attachments

• DCP_0119.JPG
    DCP_0119.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DCP_0006.JPG
    DCP_0006.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Cockshut,Oliver,mower& engine.JPG
    Cockshut,Oliver,mower& engine.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sure its possible! We had over 650k on grandpas 83 before we decided the compression was too low to trust it during the winter and installed a new engine. That motor still had over half of the original glow plugs and injectors in it. These motors will run a VERY long time if properly cared for.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for as long as i've been on here i have never heard that ford put dana 70's in these trucks. always dana 60 or 10.25" sterling.

i know dodges had 70's and 80's in there 2500 and 3500s........

No rear 60's on these IDI's. The rear was Dana 70 up the 85. IIRC, 85 and on up are 10.25's.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online