4.10's to 3.55's - Should I do it?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should still do the ATS turbo upgrade, if you mean switching the downpipe from that squished one that they gave your factory turbo truck for a real downpipe, then you will see some performance gains. I plan to swap over from the 4.10s to 3.55. My heaviest towing is about a 5000lb boat or hauling a cord of firewood on flat land, generally. A turbo is hopefully in my future too, but I am getting tired of 10-12MPG towing or 13-16 empty. If I could get 14-16 around town and 17-18 on the highway I would be real happy. I have the 3.55 axle laying in the backyard, I just have to clean it up and get with somebody to help me do the swap.
J.D.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Diesel JD said:
You should still do the ATS turbo upgrade, if you mean switching the downpipe from that squished one that they gave your factory turbo truck for a real downpipe, then you will see some performance gains. I plan to swap over from the 4.10s to 3.55. My heaviest towing is about a 5000lb boat or hauling a cord of firewood on flat land, generally. A turbo is hopefully in my future too, but I am getting tired of 10-12MPG towing or 13-16 empty. If I could get 14-16 around town and 17-18 on the highway I would be real happy. I have the 3.55 axle laying in the backyard, I just have to clean it up and get with somebody to help me do the swap.
J.D.

You mean you don't have that thing in there yet! Wish you weren't so far away, I could probably coach you...or I mean help you get it in there! :)

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Diesel JD said:
J.D.

I know the high-flow downpipe would open things up a bit, but its also expensive and a pita to install.

You can swap the axle yourself - I did mine by myself in my driveway in the rain at night, wasn't exactly fun but it didn't take long:)

If you can afford it go for a gear vendors overdrive rather than the 3.55's - if not the 3.55's aren't bad but you will looose a little acceleration.

My first tank with the 3.55's I averaged 15.7mpg and most of that was either in town or towing my motorcycle trailer around in hilly areas. I generally set the cruise controll at 65mph. I expect that the next tank will be a bit better, but we will see.

You should be able to get the mileage figures you want now if you just stay out of the throttle a bit more and limit your top speed to 55mph. I don't think I'd like 3.55's without a turbo - with the turbo it seems like it has just enough power to pull them comfortably if you do much towing in hilly areas (well, I guess that's not an issue in FL).

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sir, and the Hypermax, I hope I will be able to afford it this summer. Have to save some monye for tuition and the tax bill, but after that, it's wide open unless something unexpected comes up.