4.10 and 3.55 comparison.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
yea, that is prety cheap to install gears.

i to just swaped the entire axle. was easier in my mind, since i could rebuilt the axle outside the truck, then throw it under.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a complete set of 3.55's sitting in my garage...but, I'm not confident enough to install them myself (never done it before) and shops want $250 an axle to install them. Sigh...
I don't blame you...that's the primary reason I didn't switch to 3.55 gears in 2003 or '04. Was too poor to pay someone to do the swap and didn't trust myself to do it. With how things turned out, it's probably better in the long run...ended up with the Doug Nash unit instead...now I just need to get it installed :angel:

I think that what gears are best for you depends on your primary mission...if you're primary loaded light and doing a lot of freeway running, 3.54's will be better, but if you're running tires that are considerably bigger or you spend most of your time loaded down, 4.10's are best. My truck is so multipurpose that I'm pretty sure the OD unit will work best in my application...I spend quite a bit of time empty on the highway running between the Bay Area and the Los Angeles area, but I also routinely load the truck down (loading the truck and trailer up to 14K+ is not uncommon).

Probably doesn't mean much, but there's my $.02...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
You dropped about 500 RPM then didn't you? 14 or 1500 at 55MPH? Getting under 1800 makes a big difference in fuel economy.

Pretty much right about a 500 RPM drop overall.

Although I SHOULD add this. I was running at 55MPH with the 4.10's and 65MPH with the 3.55's.

I GAINED about 2.5 MPG while running an extra 10MPH.

I am running about 1850 - 1900 RPM on the highway now.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
How does it pull with the 3.55's? Have you hooked it up to any serious load yet?

does a 1976 tandem axle 26 foot camper loaded to the 9's with junk count?

No doubt that the4.10's would have done that job a little easier, but I didn't mind teh way my 3.55's did it.

I plan on dragging my new crew cab with my 3.55'd pickup the weekend of the 29th. Some steep hills and shallow, LONG grades.....I'll take some videos....or SOMEONE will shoot some. I will have a cab full of back seat drivers!!! lol

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
does a 1976 tandem axle 26 foot camper loaded to the 9's with junk count?

No doubt that the4.10's would have done that job a little easier, but I didn't mind teh way my 3.55's did it.

I plan on dragging my new crew cab with my 3.55'd pickup the weekend of the 29th. Some steep hills and shallow, LONG grades.....I'll take some videos....or SOMEONE will shoot some. I will have a cab full of back seat drivers!!! lol

I figure that my truck is slow enough, I won't notice the difference either way :rotflmao

CSARebel916

WMO Burner
Reaction score
I wonder how much of a differance id see if I put 3:55s in my truck? I dont have a 5spd, I have an old crusty C-6 lol. I crank 2500-2600 at 60 mph and 3000-3100 at 70mph. I drive almost 75 miles round trip for work, and all but 3 miles is highway driving. Ive thought of putting 36's under my truck to offset the 4:10s. Any ideas?? Id be all over a 5spd if I could afford one :(

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of a differance id see if I put 3:55s in my truck? I dont have a 5spd, I have an old crusty C-6 lol. I crank 2500-2600 at 60 mph and 3000-3100 at 70mph. I drive almost 75 miles round trip for work, and all but 3 miles is highway driving. Ive thought of putting 36's under my truck to offset the 4:10s. Any ideas?? Id be all over a 5spd if I could afford one :(
This isn't a direct comparison, but I had 3.54's in my old E-350 with a 6.9l and C6...she was a very happy highway cruiser; did 70 to 75 without breaking a sweat. I generally did about 14 mpg, but that was with wider tires...the previous owner (who had put the wide tires/rims on) told me that he averaged 17 mpg with the factory tires.

My truck, by comparison, currently gets the best mileage at 55 even after the ZF swap (with 4.10's from the factory)...if I can keep her at 55 on the highway, I can squeeze up to 20 mpg out of her. OTOH, at 70 to 75, I'm still lucky to get 15 or MAYBE 16 mpg :( ...I'm hoping that the OD unit swap will get me closer to 20 mpg at 65 to 70. I wish I could ditch the lumber rack...

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I know that's not a bad price for a gear install (although, that was almost 3 years ago and I can't remember who quoted me that price), but $500 will buy a fair bit of fuel....y'know? And I'm not made of money.

Though with the way fuel prices are going...

Well, I still have my new IP and injectors waiting to go in very soon...as soon as I can get a chance to pop test all the injectors. Need to get my test setup all rigged up.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warden, how did you deal with the noise at 70 MPH? If I'm crusing down the highway at 70 the engine is roaring so loud I dont think I could even have a conversation? Plus mine sounds like its screaming.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warden, how did you deal with the noise at 70 MPH? If I'm crusing down the highway at 70 the engine is roaring so loud I dont think I could even have a conversation? Plus mine sounds like its screaming.
check your fan clutch. it sounds like it's frozen and you have a B17 under the hood all the time now.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isnt the fan clutch, ive heard that come on haha. F250 ready for lift off. But still, just engine noise is incredible inside my truck. I guess it must be the metal head liner and limited padding in the cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online