3rd brake-light conversion on slant nose. how to with pics

MedicMoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always liked the 3rd brake lights, looks a little more modern, and an added bit of safety. I did not like my original set up of the cargo light only on my 85, so I changed it. I found the new housing and wire harness at the local pick-n-pull yard. it think they charged me 5.50$. I bought other stuff while I was there. As I took it off the donor truck i noticed that it was very similar to mine, just bigger. Here is what I did.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the stock one. Just remove the screws, and pull gently as far as it will go.

You'll see the two wires for the cargo lights. a solid black and a black/pink wire. Cut those like this:

Now you want to cut the sheet metal around the original hole. Line up the new light, It is the same height as the old one, so, just make it bigger from left to right. I did this:

finish wiring it up by adding the green wire to the brake switch light, and the blue/black wire to the pink/black wire, and solid black id ground.

Place the new assembly in the hole, and drill pilot holes for the screws. Make sure to add the green wire to the brake switch, and button up everything.

Sit back, enjoy a beer and admire your work.