38-40 inch tires

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Getting ready to drop some coin on new tires but need something bigger.

I'm running 38" TSL radials underneath a 2000 F350 with a 10.5 inch lift. Won't go up to 42's cuz I need to keep her legal (California lift laws suck)

Anyone know any decent meats to fit a 16.5 inch wheel? Almost narrowed it down the the IROKs (radials) 39.5x13.5x16.5- thinking that's probably the largest I can go in a radial short of buying new wheels.

Have to be radials, don't do the bias cuz it's my daily driver- thoughts, knowledge?

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
If it wasn't for the fact that I run 17's and the fact that I get all my tires for free .....

I would buy yours...

There's not as many guys that have the lifted trucks like ours yet... They are coming though... we'll just have to keep pushing this to the top to get em sold for you..

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
yeah, I figured there would be a limited crew around here with lifted rigs.

I like the 38's but they just look a bit too small with the lift. They really get some good life too, this is my 2nd set and I'll probably get a total of 40k out of them.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
38's with a 10.5" lift would look different...

Hell I want bigger tires with my 6.5" and I am already running 37's... Goodyear makes a 40" but its only a "C" rated tire... were hoping Goodyear starts making 39" tires to compete with the 39's that BFG is pushing on all the trophy trucks... If so then I will be hooked up!!

I really like the "E" 's that I am running now... I still pull some pretty heavy loads and D's & expecially C's feel wishy washy..

I can't believe how good of mileage your getting... I put about 20k on my Goodyears and I was getting to what I thought was low... When I went in and had them changed the guys at the tire shop were asking why I was changing out... so It must not have been as bad as I thought... Then again these MTR's are such a deep tread. It may have been an optical illusion. LOL :D

Last edited:

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
The TSL Super Swamper radials (38's) are actually something like 37.3, a little small for a 10.5 inch lift.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread, no one out there uses big *** tires?

The 39.5 should keep me right at legal height out here in Ca., I'm already pushing the limits already!!! I'm thinking the 39.5 IROK's, they are only a 13.5 width but probably would be less stress on the front end.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my 35's ....LOL.... You have a few years on me! What about Mickey Thompsons radial claws?

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Originally posted by ISurvivedNMU
I finally got my 35's ....LOL.... You have a few years on me! What about Mickey Thompsons radial claws?

I heard that they don't last for crap. Some have said that they are loud but the noise factor doesn't bother me too much. I've been getting 40k out of the swampers and like them, but they just aren't big enough, need to fill in the wheel wells a bit more.

The Baja Claw comes in a 38.5 but I think that's a bias. The Radials only go up to 37's and pretty sure they don't have any for the 16.5" wheels.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Swany,

How are you using a 10.5" lift with 38"ish tires and still staying legal?

I am running a 6.5" lift with 37" tires on 17" rims and my headlights are exactly 54"s (max legal in CA).

What am I doing wrong?:confused:

Thanks,

Tom

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
No guts no glory man...here's the info I have on lift laws, not too sure where you got the 54 inch headlight height, it's based off of frame height

CALIFORNIA

What you can do is dependent on the GVWR. If your truck's is 4,500 pounds, the maximum frame height is 27 inches. If the GVWR is 4,501 to 7,500 pounds, it's 30 inches, and for 7,501- to 10,000 pounders, it's 31 inches. Also keep in mind that the lowest portion of the body floor can't be more than 5 inches above the top of the frame.

Here is the link.

Dr. Speed (from TDS) was running a 12.5 inch lift on 40's and got nailed for frame height, not headlight height. What's your source on the headlights? If so, I'm prolly illegal, come to think of it, a lot of my truck isn't within standards....LOL

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
This is what I am barely in compliance with (my headlight center is exactly 54" )

This info is off the same link you posted:

Another area that people get into trouble when lifting a truck in California is the height of their lights. Some other sections that may interest you are:

24400 VC.....Headlights must be between 22 and 54" from the ground to the center of the light.

24402 VC.....Driving/Passing lamps must be 24 to 42" from the ground.

There are others, but these are the most commonly violated. Most of the time guys-girls are having problems with big lifts and 44" tires. Usually with 40" tires they can squeek by. :confused:

Tom

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Guess I'm pretty much illegal! I was always under the impression it was frame height, I don't know of anyone that was hit because of headlights.

kwazyca

HALF A BUBBLE OFF?
Reaction score
Originally posted by Swany
Guess I'm pretty much illegal! I was always under the impression it was frame height, I don't know of anyone that was hit because of headlights.

They can always find something if they really want to.

Keep in mind I am saying this even though most of my friends are cops.:Whatever:

Tom

MudHog

Reaction score
If in fact all you have to worry about is lights, then simply relocate them to the bumper. That's how we get by in LA. No law states that the lights have to stay in the same spot.

superf350

Reaction score
Well I just got some 39.5/18's Boggers for the big truck, I should have them on by Thursday. They look pretty beefy compared to the 38/15.50 TSL's. I can't wait to see what they look like on the truck!