35 spline axles and a spool

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
2 part question. I finally Id'd my rearend and it's a dana 60. I also found the ratio tag and it's definitely 3.07.

Here's the question: Without pulling an axle and counting splines do I have or how do I find out if mine are 35 spline.

Next question: Lockers are expensive, and spool is not. Would putting a spool in My rearend be a foolish thing?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Don't do the spool... It will eat tires for lunch - yes the locker is a little more expensive but it's worth it - when mine does not unlock it bucks the living heck out of ya... if ya want come over and drive the goat to get a feel for how a locker works (ratching type). A spool would not be something I would want to drive with - drove my nephew's camaro with a spool - once you put a spool in it's only a strip thing...

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
I drove on the street with a welded rear end for a while in my broncoII, i had no problem with the bucking but i did not drive it every day. If you are planning on driving it everyday i would say locker, if you just want to drive it for fun sometimes go with a spool!!!!!!!! :dunno

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
things to remember with a spool, it doesnt want to turn.....So give it more gas and make it turn...... Like in parking spots, bip the gas and make the ass end slide.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is NOT a 35 spline I may know where there is a locker. BTW make sure it is not a dana 61 real oddball ,ford threw them in some pretty wierd places.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I DD'd my diesel for a full year with a welded rear... Other than a slightly increased turning radius, and increased tire wear, I barely noticed a thing...
I just recently yanked it and swapped it into my 460 truck(wheeling rig) as I figured I shouldn't weld up both of the differentials I have, and, I will be buying a locker for it shortly, I miss that traction bigtime.