3" Turbo Outlet Mod

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this off a member a while back. I cut the 2.5 in outlet off, ordered a mild steel vband set off ebay, created a gap between the vband and outlet using welding wire and then welded it inside and out. It is solid as ever. Only thing is when I went to swap it out this last weekend the bolts holding it on did not seem right. They look like a regular 12 point bolt but I could not get a good fit on it with any standard 12 point socket. Closest was a 5/16 but it still was loose and seemed like it was going to just round off the edges. Are these bolts special???

Attachments

• IMG_2596.JPG
    IMG_2596.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2592.JPG
    IMG_2592.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 30

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I took mine to work and had it circular interpolated with a mill inside the housing to slide 3 inch exhaust pipe in and then welded the flange to the pipe, It could also be done on a four jaw chuck lathe with some skill

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those bolts are metric and very hard, property class 12.8 . I bought 100 of them a while backhad to special order from lawson. Make sure you chase the holes in the turbine housing. 8x1.25mm tap is required.
Lots of high temp neverseez

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I took mine to work and had it circular interpolated with a mill inside the housing to slide 3 inch exhaust pipe in and then welded the flange to the pipe, It could also be done on a four jaw chuck lathe with some skill

When can I send mine to ya? lol

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
I can tell you that it is a pretty tight fit against the firewall if you dont make the exhaust pipe pretty short, the method mentioned works fine but I wouldnt do it with normal mig or short arc, I have seen to many cast welds fail when using standard mild steel fillers, mine is welded with nickel stick rod.