2wd to 4wd conversion question

waytoomanytoys

Reaction score
i got a mid 80s f250 4wd with a 6.9 i was wondering if the front ttb out of the 4wd will fit in my 2wd f250 7.3 truck or does it take modifications to the brackets and if it takes modifications to the brackets what kind.thanks

waytoomanytoys

Reaction score
thanks for the fast response. you put in a solid front axle right. i think the truck i picked up has the ttb so does that use diffrent brackets also. i cant look tonight to see it is to dark out.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The difference is in the actual suspension to frame brackets, the 2wd suspension is a coil spring suspension and the 4wd suspension is a leaf spring suspension.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen anybody do it yet, but I believe that the easiest way to convert a 2WD F series, is to put a Bronco or F-150 axle and brackets under it.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with mel. If your looking for a cheap and easy lighter duty 4x4 front end you would go with F-150 front TTB. I believe they will bolt right in. I remember reading in a 4x4 magazine where they converted a 92 or so ford f-150 2wd truck to 4wd. It was a bolt in deal on the suspension. I would use the f-250 coil springs for weight and dana 44 8-bolt hubs to keep the bolt pattern the same.

I have not done this but did a little research at one time and believe this all would mate up fine. If I do another 4x4 conversion I'm going to try this. My solid axle is great, but expensive and a fair amount of work. And I'm currently reworking with parts from 99 up superdutys.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you would have to do is swap knuckles. That's a future project for the Moosestang, as I want to go to 8 lug just for grins and the sake of standardization in my fleet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger