2002 Jetta TDI

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Picked up a 2002 TDI on Friday.. 266,000 on the clock..

I needed something to get Bonnie to the doctor, that wasn't too high for her to climb into. It has it's quirks, but I like it.

You must be registered for see images attach

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as its been taken care if it will run a long time. When was the timing belt some last?

Id invest in *** com software and the cable. Its needed to adjust almost every thing on the car.

Also the ip seals can leak as well. Easy fix with videos on you tube.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
As long as its been taken care if it will run a long time. When was the timing belt some last?

Id invest in *** com software and the cable. Its needed to adjust almost every thing on the car.

Also the ip seals can leak as well. Easy fix with videos on you tube.

Timing belt was recent... It's in the PO's maintenance records, which he gave me. ***-COM is $249.. It'll be a while, before I could swing that!

Thanks for the IP seals heads up!

The rear axle is also bent, causing the rear tires to wear on the insides. As soon as I can, I'll either fix or replace it.. However it ends up working out..

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a manual or auto?

We advance our timing all the way up. I generally get 47-48 mpgs at 70-75. Higher If I slow down.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Is it a manual or auto?

We advance our timing all the way up. I generally get 47-48 mpgs at 70-75. Higher If I slow down.

It's an auto.. The deal fell through, on the 5 speed I was trying to get.. Any injector problems, with the timing advanced?

On my way home from the hospital this evening, the coolant temp idiot light started blinking.. Guess I need to check the level in the reservoir..

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not with the injectors. My spare dad has 230k on his ip and injectors.

Advancing the timing doesn't seem to effect the autos as much. We run my moms at the recommended levels. She gets about 36-38 most of the time. It's hard to get much better.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Guess I should have updated this thread...

The coolant leak ended up being the WP.. The shop I had fix it, changed the WP, TB, idler(s), tensioner, roller(s) and serpentine belt. They also replaced the rear axle beam bushings and rear shocks. While it was there, I also had them change the oil and filter, as well as the fuel filter. That way, I would know exactly when everything needs to be done again.

After getting the car back, I got to drive it for another two days. Then, the auto tranny lost reverse. I wasn't happy with trying to put another auto in it and ordered a 6spd manual. jred came down and helped me do the swap..

I love driving this thing now!

I took the car to the glass place my insurance company has their windshield work done yesterday. They were supposed to fix a small chip, on the passenger's side of the windshield. The guy ended up turning the tiny chip into a huge crack! After going for a free repair, I ended up paying the $100 deductible and getting a new windshield!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7