Flashing glow plug light

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the VW parked for a couple days over the holiday and while heading back home noticed the glow plug light was flashing. Pretty weird but pulled over, turned off the engine for a few seconds and turned it back on. GP light stayed off. After maybe 5 mins the GP light started flashing again - this engine/vehicle has always been very strong/reliable but at this point was only about a few mins from my house so just kept driving. Figured worst that could happen if the GPs were stuck on is they'd burn out or something - they're auto controlled unlike the Ford so nothing I could really do about it.
Immediately after getting home did some searching online for similar issues/causes - some folks were mentioning their brake lights (or other brake related stuff) going out as a cause for the GP light flashing. Pretty interesting to me because I wasn't aware of brake lights causing something like this to flash on other vehicles.

Anyway, ran the OBDII scanner and no codes were thrown but did notice the passenger brake light was out!
Everything checks out so hopefully it'll be resolved after replacing the brake bulbs.
Not looking for any help or advice on this really but since the TDI room is pretty quiet wanted to post here anyway. I know VWs are notorious for little electrical goofs/demons, it's still pretty interesting/strange to me some of the VW quirks.
Especially compared to an IDI lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
There are literally 18 different reasons that a glow plug light will flash on a vw diesel, some aren't even engine related. You'll need a more sophisticated scanner like VCDS to check other modules like transmission and cruise control and cluster to see the codes. Or just start checking everything.

Reference:

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's exactly the thread I looked at too ^ so far after replacing the bulb it seem to have resolved things but we'll see.
At least removing the rear light units are way easier than removing the front

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online