Slow start when cold tdi ALH 2002

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - first time posting in the tdi room.

The 2002 tdi sometimes starts over a little slow, or sometimes cuts out momentarily while starting, or sometimes turns over fine but churns over for a couple seconds before starting.

I’ve read in some other forums people experience the same thing for tdi beetles.

The car has never not started for me - and is perfect on a warm restart. But sometimes on a cold start the starter is just “retarded”.

It’s most likely the starter from what I believe now - but also curious on maybe grounding/positive wiring for the battery. Not sure - just throwing it out there to see if anyone has ideas.

I’m interested in looking for a New starter and curious where folks get them from. Oreilly has reman which isn’t my first choice, is Bosch a better option? I may be interested in keeping the core to rebuild and keep as a backup as well. Any recommendations are great thanks for the time, happy burning

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To make sure, it's not an immobilizer issue is it?

Does it only happen when its cold?

I have noticed my BHW turns over slowly in the cold, I thought it was the battery but it tests great, is oversized 1 size, so I am leaning towards an aged starter as well.

I have owned 2 alh's, and from memory grounds can give issues, but wouldn't think that would be the case in the PNW.

When I buy parts for my VW's, I stick with IDparts, FCP Euro, Autohaus, 1stvwparts, Cascade German (local to you), etc.

I stay away from the local chain store parts. Plus the above places have great customer service and are very knowledgeable with these german cars over here.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case it wasn't clear it only happens really on cold starts (after the engine hasn't been running for a few hours) - no issues on restarts after it's been off for 1-2 hours.

I have no reason to believe it's related to any immobilizer - had to think about it because am just not used to my vehicles having one lol. The reasoning for this is the way the starter turns over is not consistent - sometimes it'll cut out momentarily, other times it'll turn over fine but the engine will chug for a few seconds before starting, sometimes it's perfect.
It doesn't seem to be that related to the temperature (was behaving like this throughout the summer as well) - thought it may be oil related as was running 15w-40 for about 5k miles (that's what it had in it when i bought it and used 15w-40 for one OCI afterwards) but after changing to 5w-40 synth it doesn't seem to be noticeably different. Still starts up fine in 25F so I'm not urgently looking for a solution. But yeah most likely will end up doing some work/replacing on the starter and checkout out the cable leads - eventually

Thanks for the recommendations on part sourcing!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
After many years of toying with vw's, it's probably the starter or a bad ground. They put grounds all over the place and they tend to get corrosion in them. Also they're notorious for only working best with a brand new Bosch or Valeo starter.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was clear :D , but my low IQ coupled with crossed-eyes, which is complimented with short term memory issues completely missed your "fine on warm restart" :rolleyes:

I just did the timing belt on my 2002 NB at 363k, original starter, but that is prolly because it saw and still sees lots of highway miles, vs many short trips where the starter is used a lot.

Good luck with it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online