2001 Jetta TDI

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After waiting nearly a month for the DMV to get their collective heads out of their tailpipes, I can finally say that this car is mine!! :D

2001 Jetta GLS TDI 5 speed with pretty much every option that was available on the car...this was a Canadian-market car that was imported into the U.S. in 2005 (and the DMV messed up the paperwork; hence the long wait for them to get it sorted out). I'm still trying to get used to the kilometers-dominant speedometer :D The odometer shows 206K km, which translates into about 126K miles. She had a roof-mount bike rack that I had just removed before taking these pictures (you can see it in the first picture), so you can see where the pads were. Unfortunately, even after washing the car, you can still see where the pads were...I may have to talk to a detailer about that.

So far, I'm as happy as a clam :D we'll see how things go!!

Attachments

• Jetta TDI 47.jpg
    Jetta TDI 47.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Jetta TDI 48.jpg
    Jetta TDI 48.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Jetta TDI 49.jpg
    Jetta TDI 49.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Jetta TDI 50.jpg
    Jetta TDI 50.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Jetta TDI 51.jpg
    Jetta TDI 51.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 9

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
about time;Sweet
You're telling me! I'm still amazed that the DMV actually admitted that they made a mistake :shocked:

But, paying $7K for a car that the seller could probably have gotten $10K for if he had tried...I can't complain too loudly :angel: and all's well that ends well.

Now it's time to see about getting the rear windows tinted and replacing the CD changer...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Male sure you check the intake yo make sure it's not full of soot. Kills performance and mpgs bad. If you have the vagcom software you can turn the egress about off. I've been planning to put a plate over the resurculation pipe when I get around to it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Male sure you check the intake yo make sure it's not full of soot. Kills performance and mpgs bad. If you have the vagcom software you can turn the egress about off. I've been planning to put a plate over the resurculation pipe when I get around to it.
I'm planning to get the ***-Com software as soon as feasible...if nothing else, to change the odometer so that it's showing in miles instead of kilometers. I'm keeping an eye out on eBay for a used setup...

The car's been maintained pretty well, but still plan to check the intake and intercooler soon...although I have to say, I have nothing to complain about as far as performance goes :D (although, granted, I've been accustomed to the M-B diesels which, as much as I love 'em, are considerably slower than the TDI is).

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally had a chance to pop the hood for the first time and take a picture...boy was I surprised at what I found!! :D

Attachments

• 0530011728.jpg
    0530011728.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 53

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BMW?????

I could see VW or Audi...... but BMW?????
it's quietly dreaming to be a 335D:eek:;p
also, for those of you who have been overseas, the below badge is seen on the same body as the VW logo is.....
i was thinking of putting one of those on where the VW logo was absent:D
the BMW does cover up the holes in the meantime;Sweet

Attachments

• skoda.jpeg
    skoda.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 36

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Schweeeeeet ;Sweet

I love my '06 Jetta TDI and 49-50 mpg hwy @ 70mph with the AC on.

Has the timing belt been changed. It's due at 100k miles and the TDI is an interferance engine that doesn't fare well with a broken timing belt.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schweeeeeet ;Sweet

I love my '06 Jetta TDI and 49-50 mpg hwy @ 70mph with the AC on.

Has the timing belt been changed. It's due at 100k miles and the TDI is an interferance engine that doesn't fare well with a broken timing belt.
IIRC yours is an auto...that kinda mileage out of a PD engine with an auto is nothing to sneeze at ;Sweet

The timing belt was done fairly recently, actually...in May 2009 and about 20K miles ago (the p/o lived in SF and had a short commute, so the car wasn't really driven all that much over the last few years). That was the second timing belt job done; they redid it after finding a leaking crank and cam seal (and replaced both at the same time). The previous owner was VERY **** about keeping records, and gave me the folder with the complete service history for this car...and, based on reviews on TDIClub and elsewhere, the work was done at a reputable shop (Advanced Autowerks in SF), so I should be good to go ;Sweet

Only issue I've come across so far is a CEL...towcat was kind enough to pull the code for me, and got code P0380 which is supposedly related to the glow plugs. A bit odd, since according to the records, all 4 glow plugs were replaced 2 months ago because the same code was thrown...

BTW I've fueled up once so far...44.9 mpg in urban driving and not really trying to hyper-mile ;Sweet I can't wait to see what she does on a freeway trip...I'll be finding out in a few weeks :D

02AutoWag

Reaction score

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Russ!!

Work happened to pick up right after I bought the car, so I haven't had time to research it...although I figured that a thread like that existed on TDIClub. Thank you very much for digging it up for me; makes life much easier :D

BTW a ***-Com cable is on its way from Ross-Tech; should be here on Tuesday ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7