2001 Jetta TDI

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC yours is an auto...that kinda mileage out of a PD engine with an auto is nothing to sneeze at ;Sweet

Yep, mines the 6 speed auto. I'm pretty happy with it. Generally get about 40-45 around home depending on if Mama's driving it or I'm driving it. That thing is too much fun for me to drive and not put my foot in it. I can only imagine how much trouble I'd get into if I put a tune in it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, mines the 6 speed auto. I'm pretty happy with it. Generally get about 40-45 around home depending on if Mama's driving it or I'm driving it. That thing is too much fun for me to drive and not put my foot in it. I can only imagine how much trouble I'd get into if I put a tune in it.
I know exactly what you mean :D I try to be gentle on the throttle (I generally try to drive for economy), but sometimes I can't help but put my foot in it :D ...although I can justify it in that ALH's need somewhat regular Italian tune-ups to keep the variable vanes in the turbo from seizing up.

USPS and FedEx have been busy :D ...just got a set of E-code headlights with foglights, a replacement CD changer that will go into the factory radio and can play mp3 CD's, a replacement latch for the armrest storage compartment, and most importantly, the ***-Com cable. The odometer now reads in miles and the clock shows 24 hour time...gotta love it ;Sweet I just need to get my $$ recharged enough to get the replacement rubber seals that towcat ordered for me (the old ones are damaged from the bike rack that was originally on the car) and get the bike rack sold, then get this stuff installed at some point :D

Her first road trip's coming up a week from today...driving up to my mom's in Hippieville, then down to my dad's in the L.A. area...looking forward to see how she does for fuel economy ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Those DSG 6 speed auto are awesome. Basically a manual tranny that does everything itself. Put it in sport mode and watch it shift.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For anyone who's interested, the first part of my TDI's road trip went well ;Sweet ...uneventful, except for taking an hour to get through SF and across the Golden Gate Bridge because of a head-on collision that closed 4 of the 6 lanes going across one of the 3 busiest bridges in the Bay Area -cuss ...I think that all the stop-and-go driving hurt my fuel mileage, but when I topped off about 2/3 of the way up to Eureka (fuel prices in Humboldt are horrific even by CA standards :shocked: ), she took about 3.5 gallons, netting 43 mpg. Hopefully she'll do better on fuel when I head down to L.A. on Monday ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't quite get to 50, but I averaged 47 mpg driving down from Eureka to the L.A. area (about 650 miles, crossing two mountain ranges and a good chunk of the 95+ degree San Joaquin Valley). Given that I had the a/c at full power (I'm a penguin; I can handle cold weather just fine but have almost zero tolerance for heat) and was rather heavily loaded and trying to cruise at 70, I can't complain ;Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got home safely last night ;Sweet the trip went quite well from a mechanical standpoint...the only casualties were the radio (I think there's a short somewhere; need to look into it) and my glasses (left temple piece broke off; thank goodness for medical tape). I love my dad, but I don't think this penguin could stand living in the desert...good lord it was hot down there!!!

Back to work for me...and BTW I don't have a final mileage report because I filled up right before I left my dad's (got 39 mpg in 125 miles of short-distance driving at 100+ F ) and the tank's still over 3/4 full 330 miles later ;Sweet

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you do the harness make sure it's the next suffix up from the one on there. I used to know the suffix, and I have the TSB here if you want. A lot of places keep selling the previous harness which will put you back to square one.

Been on the prowl for a decent TDI for months now, glad to see you're happy with yours!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you do the harness make sure it's the next suffix up from the one on there. I used to know the suffix, and I have the TSB here if you want. A lot of places keep selling the previous harness which will put you back to square one.

Been on the prowl for a decent TDI for months now, glad to see you're happy with yours!
If you have a chance to post that TSB, I would greatly appreciate it! The more you know, the better off you are IMHO...and, while the car's still starting on first crank, it'd be good to get this taken care of before the weather cools down, just in case this may have a negative effect on cold-starting...it may not get cold around here, but if I'm at my dad's, it can get below freezing. CERTAINLY, it wouldn't be good to do the job just to find out that I used the wrong harness -cuss

I saw that you've been looking...if you're willing to travel, I can keep an eye out out here for you. I'm still amazed by how lucky I got with this car (although, at the same time, dealing with the DMV issues was a PITA). BTW, since I never updated after that trip around the state, here's my mileage numbers since then:

6-27 7.736 gallons at 364.0 miles = 47.053 mpg
7-17 11.906 gallons at 541.2 miles = 45.456 mpg
8-03 14.102 gallons at 643.1 miles = 45.603 mpg
8-11 14.382 gallons at 663.2 miles = 46.113 mpg

:angel:

BTW, I mentioned a possible short in the radio...I don't know what's wrong with it or what, but it's been working fine ever since I got home :dunno maybe it didn't like the heat in the desert?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
How's it working out for ya now??

I'm loving my '02... Now that it's a 6spd manual and actually on the road!

I ordered one of these bumper stickers, for when I finally break the 50MPG mark....

You must be registered for see images attach

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's it working out for ya now??

I'm loving my '02... Now that it's a 6spd manual and actually on the road!

I ordered one of these bumper stickers, for when I finally break the 50MPG mark....

You must be registered for see images attach
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE ;Sweet

I haven't broken the 50 mpg barrier yet; still "stuck" at 47 as my maximum. I"m driving her down to L.A. tomorrow; if traffic isn't to bad and I can actually keep a constant speed, maybe I'll do it then?

She's been a great car ;Sweet I've done some little things...replaced the wiper linkage assembly, replaced the antenna base, patched a tire (the tires need to be replaced, but I've been too busy with work to even figure out what tire I want, let alone get the job done), and she needs some things done...I still haven't taken care of the GP harness, and also need to do tires and shocks, and replace the windshield washer nozzles, and she's getting close to due for an oil change. At this point, that all gets to wait until after I get back from L.A. ...but, hopefully ASAP afterwards.

I'm also planning a few mods...I have a set of Euro headlight assemblies waiting to be installed; I want to get the foglight wiring, headlight motor wiring, and the Euro-switch before putting them in...also planning to get a windshield washer reservoir that's meant for a car with headlight washers (I'm not planning to put headlight washers in, but IIRC the reservoir's almost double the capacity, and I use the windshield washers daily here on the coast LOL ), and a few other things...

In short, I'm as happy as a pig in ***** matter ;Sweet

If you've driven a TDI 5 speed, how does the 6 speed compare to the 5 speed in terms of driveability? I've heard of people doing 6 speed swaps into A4/ALH cars, and anything is better than the slushbox :D but I'm curious to see what the advantages are to the 6 speed over the 5 speed...

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
If you've driven a TDI 5 speed, how does the 6 speed compare to the 5 speed in terms of driveability? I've heard of people doing 6 speed swaps into A4/ALH cars, and anything is better than the slushbox :D but I'm curious to see what the advantages are to the 6 speed over the 5 speed...

I drove my mom's '02 5spd TDI and love the 6spd a lot more. It's so nice, cruising at 70MPH and still have another gear yet to go. It's so quiet and there's still plenty of power available.. Having the 11mm IP is said to make a huge difference..

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drove my mom's '02 5spd TDI and love the 6spd a lot more. It's so nice, cruising at 70MPH and still have another gear yet to go. It's so quiet and there's still plenty of power available.. Having the 11mm IP is said to make a huge difference..
Can't argue with that ;Sweet what RPM's are you at in 6th at 70?

Both of my vehicles are primarily freeway cruisers, although I generally don't go much faster than 70...I generally try to keep the RPM's between 2000 and 3000, and as it stands, I'm at about 2400 RPM at 70. Not too bad, but a bit lower would mean better fuel economy (and also having to drop a gear at the first sign of a hill :D )...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7