2 more flats?

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
OK - a little history on ********* first:
1992.5, N/A 7.3, ZF5, 3.55's, 242k miles, OE IP (never timed), new stanadyne 'E' injectors @ 220k miles.
Amsoil A/F, 3" true dual straightpipes, new AL pyro (thermocouple is about 1.5" from manifold),.

about a month ago, our own Dsl_Dog_Catcher (Ron ;Sweet ) was in my hometown for an extended 'working vacation' & during one of our many 'A-cup meets' (AKA 'mini BOOB meets'), he turned up my IP "one flat and a hair" for me. after re-assembly, we found very little change (or smoke) ... get an Old Goat on the phone... "back out the external" (remember - i said she's a '92.5) - so the external screw is literally hanging on by a thread, so to speak... still not much smoke.

fast forward to today: after aligning the mark on my HB to 1 o'clock (not 7, Ron :backoff ), i finally opened the IP back up this last week & cranked her up another 2+ flats, so I am now between 3 & 4 flats up, plus the external is maxed out. man, you guys aren't kidding when you say that little screw is hard to turn!
i can certainly notice the difference in performance - this really woke the old girl up! BUT, i can't help but think i can get more out of her. i'm making good smoke, just not tons of it.
my EGT's are pretty near where they were before turning it up: 250 - 300 @ idle, 600ish @70mph @ 2200 rpm, i've yet to see 1100 (i've seen 1050 while TRYING to see how hot she'll get - 3200 rpm in 4th going up an onramp). Know that i live at sea level and rarely haul (even rarer to tow) much.

am i expecting too much from this old girl?
will she just NOT make the smoke i'm looking for?
am i asking Trouble in for a beer by wanting more out of this 242k mile IP (or engine)?
what's the worst that happens? i prematurely wear out my tired IP and have a valid reason for a new unit?

thanks in advance for any input, guys.
OH - a few pics should come later tonight or tomorrow.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank, you got 242K on that IP??? I say it's shot! :eek:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would say that the injection pump is worn out and tired...

As said once you get up there in RPMS the smoke does trail off - stomp her at around 1500 rpms or so and you'll see some 'moke ;Sweet

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
yep, Mel - 241,7something today... but she's running like a ***** ape, man! shot?!? tired, sure, but... ;Pissed i want smoke!
ahem. i know when to say when (kinda).

and Trav & Nick: i only meant by that comment that those were the #'s at the hottest i've seen. i get 'smoke' - i've tried lugging her down a few times & get a decent amount of smoke, but the EGT's didn't rise much if any. are EGT's & smoke output necessarily related?
at least she does smoke enough passing at hwy speeds for a Freightliner to comment on the cb today :D .

my biggest question is whether or not i'll do any real harm by pushing this IP harder?... or will i simply retire the OE IP sooner than not? i guess i already got my answer - call Ken, huh?
anyway, 2 pics attached: 1] think my temp. probe is close enough to be accurate? 2] see what i see @ 70mph (temporary mount)

Attachments

• probe placement.JPG
    probe placement.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 13
  • pyro mount.JPG
    pyro mount.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 20

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
and this one is for Travis... you should've seen Ron's face light up when i tossed him a pair of purple latex gloves!

Attachments

• Ronlg.JPG
    Ronlg.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 26

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Only thing better would to have had some pink ones LOL :rotflmao :rotflmao

Now for smoke... typically when you see the black smoke a rolling then you will see the egt's rise.

Just to give you an idea... on both The E and The G when the smoke starts a rolling I will see the pyro movin' on up along with the boost needle as well. Now you don't have a boost situation but you should see the egt's climbing as well.

Now you won't hurt anything by having it that high and I highly doubt you will shorten the life of the pump by it being turned up but I suspect that the pump is worn and that could be why your not seeing much smoke. The E would lay down some pretty good smoke until the boost kicked in and once when I blew off the hose leading from the turbo to the intake you would have thought something was on fire at the rear of the truck because everytime I stepped down on her the ole black would roll out the tail pipe.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
argve said:
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Only thing better would to have had some pink ones LOL :rotflmao :rotflmao
:backoff :backoff :backoff :D
Gotta defend myself here.
The pink just wouldn't go with my 2005 IDI weekend shirt. ;Sweet
At least Frank didn't load up the one with my namesake in the air. :eek:

Even with a pair of 3" dual smoke pipes tho, should he see the kind of "smoke" as I would see with the single 3" mulch haulin "happy" truck? :rolleyes: Ya 8k on the IP versus 242k. Apples to oranges I know.

Ya 4 yards of landscape mulch in one load and yes BLACK work gloves this time. ;Really

Sorry no photo.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
and this one is for Travis... you should've seen Ron's face light up when i tossed him a pair of purple latex gloves!

What a classic shot! LOL I should make that the home page photo for the BOOB site. :rotflmao

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
At least Frank didn't load up the one with my namesake in the air. :eek:
umm... this one?
i call the second one "Waiter, There Is A Dog Catcher In My Soupbowl"

Attachments

• Ron namesake.JPG
    Ron namesake.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Ron in the soupbowl.JPG
    Ron in the soupbowl.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 25

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
We need a caption contest for the second one. (in my best Jerry Reed voice) "Come here Fred, Fred don't ************ after you... " we got places to go and you want to crawl down the intake"

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
umm... this one?
i call the second one "Waiter, There Is A Dog Catcher In My Soupbowl"

-cuss :backoff :draw Ahhh screw it! :rotflmao :rotflmao

All I was doing was just helpin a brother out and THIS is what I get. cookoo

Russ.... ;Sweet I like that one since we had just came from a Japanese Hibachi(sp) steak house. :D .......Now where did he go.....FRED git yer butt back up here or I'm gonna FRED!
And I thought the war was gonna be on with Mel.....Saving secret photo for later since it's all out on the Dog Catcher.

Frank.....Just get the pump man! OR go back to single 3" exhaust with a muffler. :puke: LOL

Now be a good little doobie and stop spilling yer coffee and go fetch me a radiator.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah! My EYES! :eek:

Oh, there is just way to much material there to have fun with, so all I'm gonna say is....

Frank, you need to ditch that hood blanket buddy. That serp belt wound is unsavory. ;p

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
dang, I thought I was the only guy to stand on the radiator top and work on the truck.

at 135lbs I have also put a 2X12 over the engine and kneeled on it, pays to be small sometimes.

drew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online