2 Marine idi turbo diesel engines 260 hp (not mine)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
WOW!!!! 2 real life Marinized IDI Engines. We have all heard about these things existing for years, but I think the is the first pictures I have ever seen of them. Amazing how hard you can push something when the cooling system covers a good part of the earth..... never run out of cool water to cool the engine..... These things could be fun.... Wonder if they are a "turbo block" or a N/A block with a turbo......

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think in a marine install the cooling water is continuous flow so the cylinder walls never get a chance to collect particles to make electrolysis happen? Kind of like if you flushed the whole cooling system with each use.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iirc the cooling system you see on this motor package is a heat exchanger type system. no direct contact with raw seawater is made with the block.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Know every situation is different but I've changed two water pumps on houseboat 454 gas engines and each of those had Rubber Impellers and constantly ran Lake water through Them. I guess the only thing that kept rust from building up inside it was the constant supply of new water. on those idi's I wonder what the factory did to get 260 horsepower out of it, that rivals some moose pump numbers

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I Know every situation is different but I've changed two water pumps on houseboat 454 gas engines and each of those had Rubber Impellers and constantly ran Lake water through Them. I guess the only thing that kept rust from building up inside it was the constant supply of new water. on those idi's I wonder what the factory did to get 260 horsepower out of it, that rivals some moose pump numbers

It's real easy to get your HP numbers up when you have a keyboard.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure if these have that HP or not. However, in a lot of marine applications, they run higher HP than the same engine would in a vehicle. I am not sure how much they add, but I know there is a "Marine Injector" for the 6bt Cummins. They flow more fuel and have a higher and tq rating that the vehicle injectors. Gassers are the same way........

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. From the looks of it that isn't a navistar direct product. One of the pictures shows a plate reading "marine corporation of America" maybe they took a regular old n/a slapped on a few stickers and a turbo and guess at the output

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I've seen those 340 injectors for the 6bt, but an idi hitting those numbers with a few simple bolt ons is hard to believe

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want one of those for my boat! I wish I had the money to buy them, ive always wanted to put an idi in my boat but I don't have the tooling to machine the needed parts. ill just keep dreaming for now and leave the gasser in my boat and leave the idi's for my trucks

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
15:1 compression... I'm thinking typo. Would diesel even ignite with that low of compression without a shitload of ether?

If it's really that low you could run a ton of boost.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk, a quick google search yielded that 14:1 is the absolute minimum required for ignition at all, so 15 seems really out there