2 Marine idi turbo diesel engines 260 hp (not mine)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats HP measured at the crank, which would be around 200hp at the wheels...which guys have done with just turbo IDI's and good (stock), turned up fuel systems.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know they'd managed that. I need to get a hold of those guys to get there tuning secrets, the stock turbo was rated at 185 crank so that would be 75 ponies with just turning up fuel and timing.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
If the specs are true I'd bet it has a custom cam, some injector/pump work, and a lot of boost to go with that super low compression.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I Know every situation is different but I've changed two water pumps on houseboat 454 gas engines and each of those had Rubber Impellers and constantly ran Lake water through Them. I guess the only thing that kept rust from building up inside it was the constant supply of new water.
My experience has been that different marine engines are set up differently, depending on the application and how the designer felt like doing it :D Most trailerable boats with gasoline engines I've worked on pulled in seawater and ran it directly through the block, as you described (and you're supposed to flush them out with a garden hose afterwards, especially if running in salt water). However, even on a trailerable boat, every diesel boat I've seen had water-to-water heat exchangers, so seawater came in and cooled off the pressurized antifreeze that actually went into the engine block. On that setup, you have two water pumps...the fresh water pump which is similar to a "normal" water pump i.e. what we have on our trucks, and a raw water pump with a rubber impeller like you described.

I've also seen some boats with "keel coolers"...they must have been meant to only be out on the open water and at low hull speeds...but, instead of pulling in seawater, they pumped the pressurized coolant into a pipe maze going under the hull. Here's a better description: http://www.myboatsgear.com/keel-coolers ...personally, I'm not a fan; I don't like the idea of coolant pipes being exposed like that, and if they're recessed in the hull, I don't know how effective they'll be.

Back to the topic at hand...I don't have any use for them, but it'd be awesome if someone on here could get their hands on them and see how practical it would be to replicate the marinizing equipment :angel: ...but, at that price, I don't see it happening...