1994 XLT IDI BODY LIFT

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good and complete 3-4 inch body lift kit ?
And are there any steering control or extension issues ?
I already have a 4” lift kit installed but I am just looking to get more lift for tire clearance without further impacting the Center of Gravity.

corrado9184

Reaction score
i have a 3" on mine and the steering shaft is close to being too short, not sure of the brand, it came with the bolts and 3in nylon blocks. I replaced the body mounts while i had it apart which was harder then putting the body lift in. Bumpers of course had to be shifted up and the back one was welded on so it didn't get moved. Both shifter holes had to be trimmed and the 4wd shifter had to be bent to be able to shift it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, if you havent replaced the body bushings yet then you can expect to gain and inch just from that on your crew cab. Id lift it another inch or 1 1/2" and call it good. You wont have any huge issues with steering/bumper/fan alignment and it gives you plenty of extra room around the turbo. What size tires are you trying to fit? 37s clear easy with just the lift you have

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WesPaul has you on the right track: anything higher than 2" will cause some interference between the firewall and the passenger side exhaust manifold.

Alwaysreadyrob

2002 7.3 POWERSTROKE 4x4
Reaction score
Thanks you guys ,
I think 37s are just fine.
Right now IP is coming out for a good Classic Diesel Designs rebuild with good Vitton Seals this time, Steel Fuel Lines in transit from Pensacola Diesel...
I just received my glowplug modification kit in the mail so the truck should be up an running by Mid March ! Can’t wait because I have been without it since the beginning of last summer.

No pressure Wes ! Lol !!!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the 2" body lift I used on the 1992 in my signature was from Performance Accessories, came with the steering shaft and all the longer hardware. I did not replace the factory rubber mounts but you should consider that as there's no better time to replace them that when you are installing the body lift.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Just for the record, a body lift will affect the center of gravity of your vehicle. Just not as much as the same amount of suspension lift will since you're not raising as much weight with a body lift.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this which is more cost effective a body/suspension lift as for fuel n tire wear n such

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this which is more cost effective a body/suspension lift as for fuel n tire wear n such

Fuel and tire wear will be a wash between the two. A good quality suspension lift is usually a better idea and if you actually USE the lift (IE off road) a good suspension lift will allow better articulation and therefore traction.

Cost effective though... Body lifts are about $300 whereas cheap suspension lifts are usually $800-1200.

corrado9184

Reaction score
Just checked back, the bottom of the fan shroud would have to be trimmed off. I don't currently have any over heating issues but i also have a electric auxiliary fan wired to kick on with the A/C or a toggle switch on the dash. the drivers side exhaust manifold would touch the body just under the throttle pedal under acceleration. I took a wood block and prybar and gave myself an extra 1/4 of clearance, i honestly would go for the 2" if i did it again. The amount of room it gives me on top of the engine for the turbo was nice, especially with the Holset HC-1 i am running.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you end up going with 2 or 3 lift or just refresh mounts?

I am doing one for a customer with a IDIT and am researching what's going to be less of a pain haha

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want easy, go with a 2" lift and cross your fingers you won't have to clearance the firewall. 3" has serious manifold to firewall interference, which sounds "more painful".

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online