1994 F250 7.3L E4OD, 203k miles, $1800

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, guys, I've been looking at this truck for a little over a week. The truck is in good condition and straight. Interior is still nice, though the dash has cracks, of course. The engine sounds good and runs well. The only leak was a fuel leak on top of the fuel filter, which I am certain is just that O ring for the sensor (I'm not sure what that is and what it's called).
Now, the bad.
The transmission had obviously been overheated and puked fluid out of the front seal. The transmission is in limp mode. The transmission is an E4OD and that is quite a few miles. I've no idea if it's ever been rebuilt.
Also the front driver side brake rotar needs to be turned or replaced. That's all that I've picked up, and obviously a transmission Fox is a big deal.
I drove the truck about 30 miles and got it nice and warm, crawled underneath and nothing was dripping. The front seal didn't see to be leaking then. I did check the trans fluid after drive and it was red and not burned. Oil had a good level and not gritty, and no milkiness. Coolant didn't have any visible oil contamination. My only real concern is the transmission. Should I be concerned about more or look for more?
The guys story is he got the truck in a package deal with a 74 Air Stream trailer for $4000 and was just wanting his money back. He's now down to $1800, so he obviously wants to get rid of it. Should this concern me or should I depend more on how the vehicle checks out? With the questions is it still worth $1800. I think so but I have never owned a diesel truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call the Ford dealer and see how much they want for a factory rebuilt E4OD. Then go to kelly bluebook and and nada and see how much the truck is worth in decent condition. Subtract the cost of the tranny and see where you are at.

I can tell you one thing for sure; If you cannot do your own mechanic work on this thing, don't buy it. Having to pay someone to do all the work is a losing proposition, these trucks are getting older and there is always something little going on with them. Paying someone to do something big like the tranny may be alright, but everything else you had better be prepared to do yourself.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KBB = $4,902
Transmission (from what I've found out. I know a guy who had been a diesel mech for 40yrs) = about $2,700 ( reman tranny)
$4,902
-$2,700
=$2,202.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine wise that's not too terrible. Trans wise seams about right. On the bright side you can have that trans rebuilt for 15-2000 and know exactly what you have and have a shift kit installed then also. They are a very nice addition.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am fully prepared and have started doing mechanic work myself. I currently have a VW Passat and I live outside of a small town. It's incredibly difficult to get anyone to touch it much less anyone who has a clue. I haven't much experience but I do learn very well, follow directions very well, and I'm usually (most of the time) patient.
One of the things that really draws me to the 7.3 IDI is the lack of electronics and simplicity. I don't mind (should have mentioned this I suppose but it should be reflected in the KBB as well) this truck doesn't have a turbo, which I kind of like because it's one less thing to fail. I do, however, understand the value of a turbo on a diesel (my VW is a turbo). Above all, I think, is I really want to do my o own mechanic work and take a lot of pride in the grease under my nails. I do understand when I'm over my head as well. Lol

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with having a respectable trans shop go through it for about $600-800?

C.J.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats wrong with having a respectable trans shop go through it for about $600-800?

Nothing wrong with that? I went with the Ford Reman. when I did mine. Tranny, tranny cooler and new rear gears for $3300. It cost me a lot more but I use my truck for work every day. The Ford Reman. tranny comes with a 3 year, unlimited mileage and no exclusion for commercial use warranty. You aren't getting that for 6 to 8 bills.

If it's just a rig for you to put around in, I'd say find a reputable shop and just have it rebuilt.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E40D's shift automatically.but don't condemn them the same way they shift.

this isn't an old c6.
6-800 might get ya a decent torque converter for the e40d,but not much else.

just because the trans appears to have a leaking front seal doesn't mean it overheated.it could just be a bad seal from age.
a flashing od light doesn't help condemn the trans either.
run the codes and resolve the od flashing issue and drive it.if it shifts fine,then just replace the seal if it's still leaking, give her a flush and run it.your not out anything by doing this before just rebuilding the trans.besides if the flashing light is electrical related (as is the case 99% of the time) then that issue would just be there waiting for ya with a fresh trans anyway lol.

Last edited:

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. I'm not saying it is screwed I'm just wondering what I'm looking at if it is. My intention is definitely to read codes and chase the electrical gremlins, and a flush/refill.
Can you use a standard OBD1 scanner to pull codes for the trans? I have one of those for Ford but it doesn't list the diesel.
I do understand the flashing OD light is supposed to very often be electrical.
Mainly, I'm just trying to look as far ahead as I can to prepare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online