1994 7.3 IDI Turbo No start

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This may sound oversimplified, but

The red wire that is lower and to the right of all the other wires, if this is the wire that goes down to the starter to trigger the bendix, it goes on one big post, all the rest of the wires go on the other big lug, except the little wire with the rubber boot, it goes on the little threaded post....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of mine.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Ignore the little white wire on my threaded post, I have a push button due to a failed pot metal rod in the column.

The wire my thumb is on is the trigger wire to the bendix...... I think mine has been replaced, so don’t get stuck on the fact it’s a different color.

Mine is an 88, but all the 87-94 trucks should be wired similarly. 83-86 is a bit different because of the glow plug setup and the second solenoid on the fender for the plugs.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your pictures.

I wired it same as yours. I only get power on the battery side. No power to the ignition or starter wires with the switch on.

I am at loss.

Rick

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New solenoid could be bad out of the box. If you know how to do a continuity test with a multimeter, test across the two big studs with the little wire hooked up and ignition on. Should have continuity, if not it’s dead

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
May try changing small elbow (start) wire to other small post. Should have S next to post

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All electrical has gone crazy. Now no headlights, signal lights, no "Wait to Start" light or other dash lights, radio. Only the pod gauges on relays are working.
I had just added the headlight upgrade, installed per the instructions.
Would a bad passenger fence mounted relay cause all these problems.

Wes, I cannot find my multi-meter to check the relay.

Rick

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it would be hard to burn the relay up Its pretty basic stuff.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without a multimeter electrical trouble shooting is gonna be tough. With the truck in neutral or park bridge the two big posts with a flat head you don’t care about. If the starter cranks then the relay is probably dead.

If you no power being distributed to your lights then make sure you have one wire that is connected to the stud with all the accessory wires and runs to the battery positive. One stud is hot at all time, sounds like you don’t have it connected to power at all.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, raining all day again. I will try tomorrow.
Wes, I need to get your shop soon.

Rick