1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know how E4ODs like to loosen converter nuts? Maybe it happened to this one at some point, and the owner at the time got a bit carried away while tightening them back down.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i suppose could just be something simple like that.plus i forgot this engine has been pulled at least cus it's all painted black (if not a reman?) so they would have left the trans and converter in the truck for that pull most likely too.to telling with these old trucks i guess.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Your converter is a reman. Easy way to tell. It has paint. Ford converters are unpainted.

Converter shudder is the lockup clutch failing. When they slip it will make a vibration through the tranny.

Bushing walk is common, specially on the E pumps. Between lube issues and loose tolerances, makes this a common issue.

I haven't played with a Superior kit in a long time. Mainly because my parts are covered by Clevite, Sonnax, and TransGo. For your case, I would use it.:Thumbs Up

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You know how E4ODs like to loosen converter nuts? Maybe it happened to this one at some point, and the owner at the time got a bit carried away while tightening them back down.

This is why the nuts are one time use. They should be tossed after use. But they get recycled and end up like this. -cuss:mad::frustrate

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i wish i got to drive the thing more before it acted up.im pretty sure after some more thinking,the only stumbling she did was at idle so rather than a converter i ordered some new stanadyne g codes.i know for sure she needs those.seems as if i would have (and im danged sure) would have noticed any converter shutter while going down the road.thinking back,it was all just rough idle.plus id hate to replace a reman converter with one of less build quality.man its tough working on the unknown.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
today on log truck,log truck gets the upgraded 1995-1997 high volume pump.unlike my '93's with the E9/F5 combo (for a semi high volume setup,better than previous years) which i was informed was galled and no longer any good,i scored this nice used f5/f5 setup on ebay.

i pulled the trangso mod parts and inserted them in the replacement.now it's onto further modding with Superior's E40D Pump Correction Package #K062

so the transgo mods were to address lockup feel.a nice crisp on/off for a more shift like feeling,rather than a semi glide lock in.
now,what this superior kit will do,will provide more lube flow and keep the pump bushing from walking and causing the issues i had with my old pump with an updated bushing with knurls on the back side,and an increased drain back hole built into the bushing.apparently the pump will outflow oem settings at idle with this kit installed.
the kit is also for the latter E40D's (known as the 4r100) as well and comes complete with the devoted parts to "upgrade" the 4R100's pump to act like the E40D's pump,making it act as on/off.since this is the E4,of course i won't be doing anything with that devoted package of parts.

note:
pics of drill/bit are angled only to help show where to drill (so i was out of the way when snapping the pics.) when actually drilling,drill as straight as possible.

the instructions:
attachment.php

attachment.php

step 2:
using a straight edge,to help you make sure you drill into the bore:
attachment.php

step 3:
attachment.php

step 4:
attachment.php

attachment.php

step 5A:
attachment.php

attachment.php

step 5B:
attachment.php

step 5C:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1a front.jpg
    1a front.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 328
  • 1b back.jpg
    1b back.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 380
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    602.3 KB · Views: 329
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    737.1 KB · Views: 327
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 324
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    800 KB · Views: 320
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    775.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    716.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 317

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
step 5D:
attachment.php

step 5D/pic underside/drilled through.
Caution! STOP HERE:
attachment.php

step 6:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

step 7:
attachment.php

oops.i forgot to enlarge the drain back hole.i'll have to do so carefully now with the bushing in.should have done it before pressing it in,but shouldn't be an issue.edit; it was an issue.had to back out bushing a bit,clean then reapply thread locker.best not to forget.
notice the nice update here.a nice large built in drain back hole into the bushing for superior lube flow (pun intended lol.)
attachment.php

see one problem superior made here? they made it so,that the place where you need to stake a side,is right on their connection.poor planning on their part as this slightly knocks the bushing out of round a tad right here.use caution not to get too crazy staking this particular spot too much or else converter may not slide into pump!
test fit pump on converter before placing pump into trans!!!
attachment.php

now get out the brake kleen/carb cleaner and spray,spray,spray and then spray clean some more.no metal shavings/filings to be left.spotless.iv got some more spraying to do to mine still.
then it's onto step 8...reassembly and then placing pump back into trans,then trans back into truck.then finally the issues i had with front pump of the E40D - aka "busing walk" should be a thing of the past.a fairly common issue/flaw as iv got to read about the E40D.hopefully cured for good now.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 402
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 403
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    801.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    848.2 KB · Views: 396
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    800.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 321
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    772.8 KB · Views: 323
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    628.2 KB · Views: 322
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
to drill or not to drill.......that is the question.
something brought to my attention,that i had forgotten about.notice the transgo front mod boost valve kit says to "look" do not drill hole here.if there is a hole,plug it.
notice the superior kit said to drill it (which i did) step # 5A.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

im figuring transgo's kit here was just increased spring pressures.with the superior kit,i had drilled a hole re-directing fluid.to play it safe,the hole should be left open even if transgo says to plug it right? though it might not provide the great firm lockup with it drilled?
does anyone know why transgo would have someone plug this hole? it would never had been there from the factory right? so they must know someone who drilled it out must have superiors kit installed? if they know superiors kit was installed,why would they disagree with the hole?
does the 4r100 pump have a hole in this location?
thoughts here guys? looking for the safest plan of action.im figuring increased lube flow with superiors kit is the one to focus on.especially now that iv redirected fluid by drilling into the bore and plugging off a passage with that extra rod and plug inserted.
this is why iv got a feeling,that if transgo knew superiors k062 kit was installed,they would say not to plug it in the case but i dunno.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
E4OD-HD2 reprogramming kit.
http://www.transgo.com/products.php...d=138&countdisplay=2&start=0&addcountview=Yes

the only thing i did from transgo in the pump was the replacement boost valve and springs and the spring behind the regulator valve.
they say block the hole.superior says drill a hole.i blocked and rerouted passages with the superior kit.just added stiffer springs from transgo.

why does superior want one and why would transgo ask if there was a hole there and say to block it if there is one?

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok.in she goes as is then.no point in putting it off any longer.lost too much daylight as is.worst thing iv got to pull 'er again.wish me luck lol.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
TransGo improve the fluid flow using the factory routing. Superior uses an alternate route. Its kind of a my way vs your way deal.:D

If I really try to explain it, it will take me several days to peck the info into my computer.:eek::rotflmao:rotflmao

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the reason i figured i had better follow superior here in this instance,was because they had me reroute the fluid like you say (steps 2 and 4.) if i didn't do the whole thing,i don't know where fluid would end up going/not going (it's probably just a small bleed off and or equalizing hole is all due to the reroute/enlarging of holes etc.) it wouldn't be the place superior had intended anyway.
in other words,since i did the steps 2 and 4 of the k062 kit,i was committed to follow the whole thing at this point.

for the transgo parts here,no fluid changes were made,so nothing to partially do or not do.nothing to risk.
theoretically,i could have inserted superiors boost valve and higher pressure springs or even simply left them stock.the end result would be the same with superiors K062 kit,which would be to drill the hole due to taking steps 2 and 4 in that kit.
i feel i took the safest route.

she's all installed.after work i installed the trans.just lined up with a couple converter nuts,3 bell housing bolts and the cross member is all i had time for,but that's the biggest part.it's all just putting her together here and there after work for a day or 2 more.she should be bullet proofed from bushing walking and super high volume of an upgraded high vol pump now.kinda good this happened probably as the pump was failing anyway.i hopefully saved this trans for a couple years for a 150 bucks or so.lots of work,but just a few bucks.

in other news,the diesel store (i used usdiesel parts before) sent me REMAN G codes instead of NEW.
they're going good for the mishap though and exchanging them issue free.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on log truck............she lives.log truck is resurrected.

"Rise from Your Grave!" - Altered Beast - YouTube

so the replacement used,updated high volume 95' spec front pump together with superiors increased lube flow and upgraded bushing and transgo boost valve and springs brought the old gal back.for under $150 to boot.you can't beat saving a multi thousand dollar trans for under 2 bills.

i haven't driven it yet because not only did i brake the MLPS (since replaced with a new one) but apparently i broke the shift cable too.i guess i bent it too hard putting it up out of the way on top of the frame. just too old to take the little extra twisting i guess.no biggie.iv got one overnighted via amazon so i can test drive it tomorrow after double checking the fluid level,but the main thing is,no more trans leaks.im sure she's good to go.lets hope this is one of only a few minor setbacks with the truck for a bit.as to be expected though.she's 20 years young with a couple hundred thousand miles.this is why i made sure not to over pay when buying her.

keep it right here on channel 444 as there will be plenty more to come on the log truck show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online