1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coming soon to log truck......lift gate installation.

just picked up a used lift gate for log truck today.went and got it with chip truck.needs a little rust repair,a new cable on one side apparently,and some fresh paint,but said to be all working.8' wide so she'll fit the bed nicely.oh how nice it'll be to simply roll the big chunks of wood onto the gate and let the gate do the lifting.too many years of grunting heavy wood onto the back of a truck bed.heavy sob! won't mean nothing to log truck though.still all the payload i'll ever need.would be a bit too much for chip carting this sucker on her rear full time though probably.would need a light aluminum one or something.that's alright though.just another reason to take log truck out.whenever there's big wood to lift,she can have the duty too.not just full logs.
i'll have the local welding shop get me a quote to repair the rust (replace the plate of the whole bottom section there) and install it for me soon.;Sweet

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    806.8 KB · Views: 18

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
today on log truck............it was logs trucks' first day out! it was this last Wednesday.

so i had a tree removal job right close to the road.perfect for this pavement princes as she could be left sitting road side and haul away both small/mid size trees in one haul off.saving chip truck two hauls (80 miles/2 hours.)
a mid sized black cherry and a small white pine.
it was interesting taking log truck out for a trial run (while i dropped off the lift gate for its repair to be installed soon.)
she made the 40 mile run to the job,but she only made it home 39.5 miles issue free.all temps running great no issues and power to spare!
so much nuts,that if i sped up from my normal 45 mph to just 50 mph pre-hill,this old gal wouldn't even drop out of OD!;Really
half a mile from home however,the OD light began to flash.i figure,ah well.i'll put the code reader on it and see what sensor might be old and in need of replacement (already knowing the trans harness was spotlessly inspected and cleaned) but as i rolled home with a slightly now slipping trans,i smelled the ATF when i opened the door and figured i blew the front seal.sure enough.running right out from the center.this is fairly common to auto trans vehicles when they're left unused/used very,very little like the po had done.
so,it's time to pull a trans and replace a seal,plus replace all the fresh ATF i just put in....but hey i made it home! can't beat that if you have a brake down,in the yard sure is the best place.knock on wood.
but man,a 2nd gen sidewinder,an intercooler,a maxed out ip with 5.13's out back.......this truck didn't care much about the 2+ cord of wood on her back and it had no clue a 1200 lb rayco 1625 super jr stump grinder was even there.;Sweet

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 20
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    624.3 KB · Views: 20

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do have a transmission temp gauge, right? Where is the probe and was she reading when the pump pulled an Exxon Valdez on you?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do have a transmission temp gauge, right? Where is the probe and was she reading when the pump pulled an Exxon Valdez on you?

yes i do.an exact chip truck copy which is as noted in this thread (it's back several pages now though) it's the electrical auto meter gauge with the sending unit located @ the test port.
she was reading right on a near perfect 180 F the whole way up (once it came up to temp) empty and the same on the way home when loaded.
tru-cool aux cooler w/ 180 t-stat (also same setup as on chip)
all was reading flawless.

well there.i got that SOB all ready to drop in the am.just the 4 mount bolts to loosen and she can lower down,back and out.
i had 1 good converter nut! 2 of the rounded off nuts,i could tap on a 6 point and make 'em come my way.one however didn't want to listen.it was vise grip time,so in order to clamp that on i had to remove the cross over pipe.least they didn't need heat as i just had those nuts off,so that was no issue.just a little extra needless time.then i clamped for all she was worth,and still nothing.i put the heat to that sob rounded off converter nut (with the garden hose locked and loaded lol) and she listened right to me then.was able to get the top two bell housing bolts from below with a 1/2 drive swivel cus the banks was now in the way....thank god.so out she'll be tomorrow with a fresh seal from NAPA.
the driveline brake sure will be a lot less weight and easier to lower than a t-case hanging off her ars.will kinda feel like cheating a bit......and that'll be a ok with me lol.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to work in a body shop a while back. One of the other guys working there had his truck torn down for a while re painting and freshening the whole truck. After about 10 months in the shop, one day we came in and the truck had puked a lot of transmission fluid all over the floor. Front seal let go and the truck wasn't even able to be started at the time it happened.

It was a Chevy though....

Hate that you have to pull it apart for something like a seal, but good luck with it!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take a t-case over a driveline brake any day, but that's just me :D Besides you saw in that one video how to get both at once. Btw you should be happy you got 5.13 gears in that thing, cause there are no 4.6x gears for a D60 front but there are 5.13s :sly

I don't really like the test port for temp sensor, but whatever, it gets the job done. Mine was in the converter discharge line, if she started reading hot I could react faster than if I had to wait for thermal transfer to do its thing in the pan so the sensor can pick it up there. So you don't think it was an overheat condition that made her puke, but it was instead just the seal getting lousy with age and lack of lubrication from just sitting for a long while? Gonna grab new tc nuts from NAPA also? 3/8" fine pitch is what they are IIRC, if parts store don't have them in stock a good hardware store just might. Also, a quick reminder, now would be a good time to do the pump mods if you have those parts leftover from the Tugger kit in your other truck. Good luck and keep us updated on progress.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,nope she wasn't running warm.the truck hardly knew it had to work with this load.was incredible.
yeah,no doubt just an old seal.wish i knew i would need new nuts cus i would of grabbed some,but i should be able to find some tomorrow at good hardware store.not much else open besides auto zone and perhaps o'reilly's.not sure if i'll have much luck at either of those.i can just hold off on them though and install them latter.i won't need the truck right off,but i do need to drive it 4-5 miles to the local welding shop so they can install the lift gate sometime this week.

yes.now is the time for the pump mods so she locks up instantly like chip truck too.the concern iv got there is the part of blocking off a hole if need be.though i suppose that wouldn't be too complicated to figure something out if it's needed.
so yeah,on the bright side at least i'll get the complete kit installed now.i really like the firm lockup as well as the shifts,so nice bonus making the work well worth it alone really.plus it's no longer cold out so it's all good.

Attachments

• b page 1.jpg
    b page 1.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 205

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never messed with my pump as the transmission worked beautifully as is. It was a reman unit tho, and already had some shift kit stuff installed in it, so idk, maybe pump was tweaked upon rebuild. Either way, point is, idk how to best plug that hole. That's still 1/16" they are talking about tho, maybe a small self-tapping screw would work as a plug?

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's lunch break here on channel 444.
down and out.front pump coming out.tail end of trans pointing down or else coast clutch assembly falls out!!!! not an easy task placing the unit as a whole back in.........don't ask me how i know,or i'll lie about it.:D

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    667.3 KB · Views: 15
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    629.2 KB · Views: 17

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
That little drill hole is to address lube issues in the old days. If you have a hole, it must be plugged. TransGo fixed that in your kit.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on log truck,it's front trans pump modding and new front seal.
back to page 1 of the transgo instructions;
attachment.php

remove bolts;
attachment.php

split the pump;
attachment.php

note no hole to plug;
attachment.php

out with the old boost valve and springs (bottom) and in with the new valve and springs etc (top)
attachment.php

new yellow converter regulator spring;
attachment.php

drilled hole out with 3/32 bit;
attachment.php

clean filings;
attachment.php

replaced seal and bolted pump back up;
attachment.php

iv got the old heavy beast bolted back up with the top bolts and lots of misc stuff to go and should be good to go in a couple more hours plus fill time.phew.what a job.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    680 KB · Views: 351
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 348
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 344
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    689.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 342
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 345
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    663.6 KB · Views: 337
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 335
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 336

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a disappointing evening here on the log truck show/channel 444.

log truck finally fights back during her resurrection and modification treatments.
so the last coupe nights after work,i finish up bolting up the odds and ends of the trans,and pour in a case of ATF for starters.i broke the MLPS wrestling the trans back in place.no biggie,that'll be here via amazon prime tomorrow.i didn't see i had also pinched the cooler return line so when i jumped the relay (as the MLPS is also the NSS) to fire it up i hear a new sound.....a hissing.i look under and i see it leaking.i shut her down and think to myself,now i didn't hear that hissing last Wednesday night limping her home,but i just wasn't sure.im thinking,my god no way i just ripped the trans from my truck to replace a seal when i had to just patch a line.so off i go to AZ to grab a compression fitting.i toss that on there and start her up again..........

yeah,the hiss was now gone,and that leak.apparently i had just pinched it on the trans and frame.......however,that's not the bad part.the bad news is,she's still pouring out the front.it's just as bad as it was Wednesday.a full steady stream right from the tube in the converter shield.just as quick and steady as if you removed a cooler line and let it run out..........major bummer.thank goodness i really enjoyed her first work day out though! that'll keep me pressing on.i know it'll be worth it.
but.......what now? thoughts?

i did insure the converter drain bolt was leak free.i didn't put a wrench on it,but it appeared to be snug still.plus,remember i did drive it to fuel up once close to home.that was approx a 15 mile trip.
she made it about 40 more miles when the issue happened.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the converter drain, "snug" fit can loosen itself easy depending on how tight (or loose) it actually is. Also, the pump has some sort of o-ring or gasket sealing it to the case, right? Any chance that got damaged somehow? Also you did make sure the converter was seated all the way in before you reinstalled the transmission?

Pull the shield plate with the tube and take a look in there, maybe you can see where fluid is coming from. If converter is leaking the whole bell will be sprayed with fluid, if it's something pump related likely only the bottom part of the bell will be oily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin