1993 7.3IDI Turbo white smoke after IP, injector replacement

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then timing by ear being the worst.
To be fair, though, you can easily use the 'timing by ear' method to get a decent running truck; /far/ better than just "leaving it as it is". Sure, the pulse timing method is the "best"*, but it's better to do it by ear than just eyeball the marks and call it good.

*Note:
I am good with saying that pulse timing is fine if you have a new IP.
If you have a worn out or sketchy IP, timing it "by the numbers" won't work right, due to the timing curves being off.
With an old IP, you basically have to just split the difference, mess around until you get the best of what you have, and call it good.
The number may not be anywhere near what it should be at 2K unloaded, but at least it will run decently, vs being "good" at 2K unloaded, but, say, being really advanced under load, or smoking white due to being really retarded.
Remember: IPs will /run/ for perhaps 200K, but after 100K they need replacement.
That 100-200K range is where things are nowhere near what they should be according to the book.
And, usually, when you buy an IDI these days, chances are that the IP is in that 100-200K range, because nobody wants to spend $600+ on a new IP for a truck that's only worth a couple of times that.

BEAR_METAL

Reaction score
Hey there. My pickup is doing the about same thing. My electric lift pump is leaking im pretty damn sure its sucking air and mixing with the fuel. New lift pump is on the way for me.
Its the second holly red that crapped out btw, going with a dura lift this time

I've got a duralift. Thing kicks ass. No leaks from there.

Might check tank selector valve, i think ive heard of them leaking - letting air in the fuel system before.

I'll have to check that, I just checked and there is a small leak coming from around the front tank. Not sure if it's the tank or the valve, either way air in the system. Where is the valve located? I'll remove it and just put a T when I finally get to dropping the tanks.

The dead cylinder sound, yesssssss. I heard that on mine. It sounds like a hole is missing right? I crack all 8 injector lines with it running not a single one seemed at fault. Every injector seems to be missing a little bit randomly. Ill check back in when i get the new lift pump and air intrusion nailed on mine, but sounds like we got the same problem man.

Yeah that's exactly what it sounds like. I wonder if it is actually air intrusion, I'll have to get a jerry can and hook it up to the lift pump to check.

Thanks for responding that you DID NOT remove the housing with the pump... ~snip~

Does mel test pumps?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a duralift. Thing kicks ass. No leaks from there.
Does yours have the fuel strainer bowl at the bottom?
Is it full with fuel, or does the level go up and down?

If it's not perfectly full, you are sucking air in there somewhere.

BEAR_METAL

Reaction score

It does, but I've never seen it perfectly full, so I guess it is air. I tried to test it today with a jerry can but ended up spilling diesel all over myself. I'll get a longer section of hose next time and try it again.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

From what I understood, the fuel level will go up as the filter gets dirty.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online