1993 7.3 IDI non-turbo slug!

stewartsnellen

Reaction score
My brother has a 1993 F-350 crewcab long bed 4x4 7.3 5 spd thinking of buying what can I do to make more power I am not familiar with IDI I have only had Cummins diesels in the past but a Ford fan at heart please help, I want big power or I will swap in a Cummins!

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
you can turbo it but you are never going to make it run like a modded Cummins.

if it already has a turbo and you still call it a "slug" then give it up and swap in a Cummins.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep, IDI's are dependable and reliable, but not power monsters. Adding a turbo, free flowing exhaust, intercooler, and the best modified injection pump on the planet -THE MOOSE PUMP- and that thing will bark third gear and still be a reliable over the road hauler. But it will never be the drivetrain breaking, tire melting, Ferrari killer that a modified $30k+ cummins engine is.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother has a 1993 F-350 crewcab long bed 4x4 7.3 5 spd thinking of buying what can I do to make more power I am not familiar with IDI I have only had Cummins diesels in the past but a Ford fan at heart please help, I want big power or I will swap in a Cummins!

LOL:rotflmao

You sound like a guy that wants a race truck.......not a work truck......go with the Cummins.:D If want a reliable work truck....stick with the IDI.:love:

Tell your brother I'd like to buy his sluggish IDI......I've been looking for a crew cab F350 4x4 5 speed. What's he want for it?

Heath

Last edited:

tractorman86

Reaction score
start with a turbo and turned up factory pump. if that isn't enough get a better inj pump (moose pump) as sean mentioned with an intercooler.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You put a turbo on that thing and it will pull whatever you need it to pull. Even without the turbo, learn how to drive it the way it wants to be driven and it will amaze you. Without a turbo all the power is found up near the governer at 2500+ . If you lug it, you'll never see the power.

stewartsnellen

Reaction score
Thanks guys I apreciate the suggestions, I might play around with the IDI for awhile for the hell of it till it breaks! I do know where a used 24 valve with a P-pump is so I going to save my money.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thanks guys I apreciate the suggestions, I might play around with the IDI for awhile for the hell of it till it breaks! I do know where a used 24 valve with a P-pump is so I going to save my money.

Unless You do something wrong on purpose You won't break it, it will not be as powerful as the C but it sure will get the job done. I have both and never have a problem with either of the two, I just wish there was a cheap way to mod the IDI like a C.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I apreciate the suggestions, I might play around with the IDI for awhile for the hell of it till it breaks!

:puke:

What's he want for the truck? No reason to kill the thing. If you don't want it.....have him sell it to one of us........we like these trucks and the IDI.:love: I'm like two hours from you.

Any photo's of the truck?

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online