1992 F250 7.3L IDI E4OD probs...

HEEPJEEP

Reaction score
I bought a 1992 F250 7.3L IDI the other day and attempted to drive it home. About 69 miles into the drive I was going up a hill and the truck started to slow down like I was pressing on the brakes (but I wasn't). I pressed farther on the throttle pedal, but it kept slowing and a bad screeching noise was emitted and the engine stalled. I pulled over, check it all out, everything looked good but I couldn't get the engine to budge at all by hand. I tried the starter and it engaged but pretty much stalled the starter. About 10 clicks I was able to get the motor to finally break lose and it started... Oil pressure is perfect, runs perfect, but the tranny has no reverse or forward gears at all... It doesn't even flinch... The OD lock out didn't flash at me at all and no CEL's or anything. I honestly don't know anything about this truck yet... I just picked it up hoping to use it to tow and learn about it slowly... I am not new to vehicles at all, nor trannies, but I don't know Ford at all... I am assuming the front pump went and maybe sheered the input shaft? Any help or insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

-Dave

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a reasonable guess to me. The sound is the giveaway that something "went away" and will not be back without major surgery. How was the transmission fluid before you left and now?

HEEPJEEP

Reaction score
Sounds like a reasonable guess to me. The sound is the giveaway that something "went away" and will not be back without major surgery. How was the transmission fluid before you left and now?

Yeah I suspect that will be the case... Fluid was up to the fill line in neutral, red, not burnt. When I checked it when I pulled over there was some in a spray pattern right where I coasted to a stop, but was still up to spec, red, and not burnt...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online