1992 e350 7.3 idi lifting cab off of frame instructions please

rayfromnj

Reaction score
Hi,

I have decided to do a major maintenance on my 7.3 idi ex-ambulance and need your help to first pull the cab off.

here she is:

You must be registered for see images attach

shes in the construction business now

i have already removed all nuts and bolts attaching the truck to the rear utility box, but now, I am lost.

i tried to remove the body mounts and they all broke.

like this:

and i also have no clue on how to remove the front mounts :/

HOW DO I REMOVE THE FRONT MOUNTS?

Thanks in advance, i plan to take better pix and hopefully make a nice how to of my journey to help others.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where abouts are the front mounts you referr to? I don't have a van in front of me.

BTW does that have a serpentine belt?

If so can you tell me if it's a NORMAL ford power steering pump, or does it look like a GM pump?

If looks like GM pump...and serpentine belt, can you PLEASE TAKE A PICTURE of 3 for me and post them????

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Oooooo, YIKES. Bravo on this one, rayfromnj. :shocked:

I'll probably try the same mount replacement someday on my full-length-body mounts, as the 20+-yr-old rubber deteriorates further, though lifting the whole body is beyond me. Plus, one of my fronts is surrounded by surface rust, as the port side battery apparently boiled over at some point over the years??? :eek:

Though I haven't seen or found the bolt heads (haven't needed to), they must be (barely) accessible down low, way under the battery area. So, from inside, between radiator and engine. How you'll get enough torque onto that head is beyond me. As usual, it was easy with special tools at Lorain before anything went into the engine compartment. :dunno

Suggest you access the welded-on-nut portion through the frame end opening (remove bumper first) with LOTS of your fave penetrating magic oil. Can't imagine the rust you folks deal with in the East! :hail

Yes, pls! Pics and updates would be great, and good luck on this (especially extracting those broken bolts!) ;Sweet

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Where abouts are the front mounts you referr to? I don't have a van in front of me.

Front body mounts are in about the same position as on your F, Al. Easily visible from the fenderwell. But the bolthead's buried deep in that super-tight compartment. Can hunt mine down and attempt a pic in a few hours

Sorry, Al, mine's a Saginaw, but one of the last built with V-belts. :dunno

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hey, this was actually a fun investigation, rayfromnj! First up, bolt is ahead of radiator, not between rad & engine as I first guessed. :confused:

You may recognize this slot, under the hood and on both sides of the engine compartment. Acts as a structural member for the front of the body, and where the radiator and grille mount. Like me, you've no doubt looked down this hole, but not noticed (power distribution box is the black one at right[edit] ).....

as this hole is no doubt filled with leaves, dirt and other crap, like mine. Clear all that away (wish I could find my shop vac!), and lookee there! There's your front mount bolt head. I had no idea.

How 'bout that? Mystery solved! Now we both know! :sly

millertime

Reaction score
Wow this is an awesome thread. I will look the next time I'm at my ambulance at the vbelt system. I went to ford to see if they would pull the body for me and the lauged and walked off. So I'm gonna try and do my heads in fram. Good luck van owners.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hey, millertime! I hope you saw the thread last fall that IDIdieselJohn up north had,doing his HGs in-frame. A braver man than I, for sure. Engine came out for mine......

And, rayfromnj, hope you'll keep us updated on your progress.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So glad I DON"T own a van...OMG...looks tough!

Wish I owned a Van with Serp system and saginaw pump.....OMG tough to find! LOL

I don't know what I want...look something shiny!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I don't know what I want...look something shiny!

Or, almost shiny, Al...... saw this at a gasoline-only station today. Yep, these old critters are rare out here, even! And, rust? What's that?

Thought of IDIdieselJohn, actually...... no windows on an earlier van!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online