1991 F250 4x4 wiring diagram or specifically, fusible links

noddaz

Reaction score
There are some fusible links next to the right side battery that connect to the solenoid on the fender. While servicing my truck today I noticed that one of these links is burnt. Tracing with my continuity tester I find that it is the large yellow wire that has it's link burnt. Can anyone tell me what this wire powers? I have been having some starting and charging issues for quite a while and can't help but think that this has something to do with the problem.
Thanks,
Scott

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color fusible link? My diagram (which I don't 100% trust) shows a 20 gauge Blue fusible link to a yellow wire that powers a bunch of lights and an 18 gauge brown fusible link to a yellow wire that runs to the ignition.

Tim.

noddaz

Reaction score
color? of the link wire?

What color fusible link? My diagram (which I don't 100% trust) shows a 20 gauge Blue fusible link to a yellow wire that powers a bunch of lights and an 18 gauge brown fusible link to a yellow wire that runs to the ignition.

Tim.

Looks like the wire that branched off the big yellow wire was also yellow. The burnt link I cut out says "fuse link 20 ga fuse link 28 ga".

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the fat yellow wire off the fender relay goes to fusible links and from there, there is a yellow wire for lights or a yellow wire for the ignition (according to the diagram). On my truck, I only have 2 links off the fat yellow wire, one is 18ga, the other is 20ga. The 20ga goes to another yellow wire so I am guessing that is ignition (the book says that goes through an 18ga link, though).

These wiring diagrams aren't great. They don't show wire gauge so I have to guess between all the wires of the same color.

Tim.

noddaz

Reaction score
Well, all righty then.
I made a section of wire to replace the burnt fusible link. Any idea what size fuse I should use if I make a inline ATC fuse for this?

TronDD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea what the formula is for X gauge fusible link to Y amp fuse. I'm no electrician. :)

I wouldn't leave it straight wire for long, though. The fuse link burned out for a reason. If that reason is still there, you could have a fire next time.

Tim.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the store and buy another fusible link and install it. They are small and compact, and make a neat job, and they work. This sounds like one of the main fusible links(there are several main yellow wires distributing power over there) and to replace a fusible link is going to require a maxi fuse. Most of the larger fusible links are going to require at least a 60 amp fuse to keep it from blowing. These fusible links are tough, and do nothing except save the truck from a catastrophic fire when some major happens. The only time they will ever blow is from a mechanic doing something wrong, poor aftermarket wiring, or a accident with the truck that damages the wiring.

MontanaJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll check them tomorrow. Like I said, I'm no wiring expert, so correct me if I'm wrong. Fusible links just look like really fat sections of wire because of their insulation right? Will I automatically know if they're burned up or do I just cut em all out and start new? And are they supposed to be pretty close to the relay solenoid behind the PS battery?

Thanks again, you're all a big help:hail:cheers:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I think you posted in the wrong thread ;Really

But if the links are burnt, they'll almost disintegrate when you touch them.