1990 Ford Super Duty

carhartt_sam

Reaction score
I'm not very smart when it comes to engines and I was wondering if anyone on here knew about this model and could tell me something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you want to know? There's a wealth of information here you just have to ask. Is this a truck you already own or one you are thinking about getting?

carhartt_sam

Reaction score
I've had it for a while and it sat up for a while. I'm wanting to get it back running. It has water in the fuel lines and I'm wondering what to do about that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As for water in the fuel lines.. What makes you think that. Also how many miles are on the engine. We can only ask questions till we know what you have but.. Suspecting minds are thinking you have a 7.3 idi diesel in this truck. It has a 10 lug nut wheel too if its truly a 1990 super duty rig. They have disc brakes front and rear and they have a straight front axle. The differential gears are probably 5:26 or higher. these trucks did not have the 3:55 or the 4:10 option in this huge rear end. the truck is built to haul the load too. Many are known to have roll back beds on them and used as a wrecker truck. We can help if you can answer a few questions. Just do not start pulling parts off the engine before talking here. We can save you from some big mistakes..

carhartt_sam

Reaction score
It is a 7.3 with the 10 luge wheel. I took the filter off of the electric fuel pump that was put on it and ran the pump and it was mostly water with very little diesel.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would drop the tank and inspect it because with that much water the tank is probably full of rust then i would pull the injector lines off of the injectors buy a new fuel filter and fill with atf. then crank the truck over untill you get clean atf out of the lines then reattach and fill tank up with clean fuel and some howse.
P.S. You may want to figure out how you are getting water in your tank

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to say to fill tanks with fuel and purge all the water out of the lines to the filter head first

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not very smart when it comes to engines and I was wondering if anyone on here knew about this model and could tell me something about it.

The F-Super Duty 1987-97 (the original super duty prior to '99 pickups) was introduced to bridge the gap from the F350 to medium duty trucks.It was a commercial cab & chassis 2WD dually only optioned truck.Known at the time as the "One Ton Plus." It sports a HD frame,the hydroboost brake system w/ 4 wheel disc brakes.Though they are 2WD trucks,they are equipped with 4WD transmissions but,rather than a transfer case,they come with a drive line emergency/parking brake. A HD dana 80 rear axle that came from ford with gear ratio options intended for two purposes; heavy hauling & towing.They came in various wheelbase lengths with up to a 15,000 LB GVWR.It's widely known as the F-450 equivalent with many auto stores listing parts under either name.These trucks are easy to spot with their pickup size cabs,yet unique F-Super Duty fender emblems & 10 lug wheels.

The Navistar International IDI was the longest produced diesel engine offered in the Ford F-series trucks (1983-1994.) With the Navistar IDI still holding this record today, which consists of three generations and a total of eleven straight years.The 6.9l and the 7.3l Navistar diesel engine became known as one of the most reliable and sought after diesels.Despite its modest power by modern standards,many enthusiasts still claim it was,and currently still is, Fords best era of diesel equipped trucks for reliability, affordability and a common favorite: simplicity.Since it has no on board pcm nor emissions.with many reports of well over 300,000 miles and counting.

axle code 72 = 4.63
axle code 73 = 5.13

oh,and don't forget to check with your insurance co.before buying.these f450 trucks tend to require commercial policies more often than not.
with their gearing and often heavy beds,they don't exactly make for a decent vehicle you'd want to get in and just go for a ride in like a pickup or anything.think more like medium duty/industrial heavy hauler/tower rig.
like older medium duty trucks,they're expensive to own not buy.so use caution.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to OB

Since you are looking to get into wrenching I'd recommend that you read every FAQ and START HERE thread thoroughly go through tech articles, read the hall of shame...

READ READ READ READ once you've read it all, then you will have some idea on these trucks, what makes them tick and so on. Once you are sure you've read it all, then you most likely will understand suggestions people make and ask informed questions as well.

Lots of help here, some have specialties in certain areas...like E4OD transmissions....I won't touch em...don't know much about them...but there are other aspects of these trucks I am confident with.

Some are good with electrical some with brakes..all in all we've got a great group of well rounded people and personalities..

Good luck and read..

Al

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the OB.
Since your truck has been identified, please put the trucks info in your signature, I would refer to it as a 1990 F450 7.3L IDI and what ever transmission it has in it, also your location sometimes helps immensely just State or Canada, like water in you fuel lines, are you in a cold State or Province where the water could freeze solid. Until you have a problem, there's not much to tell you. Only thing I can say is, when changing the fuel filter, pour the ATF or fuel in on the outer filter holes, any particle of dirt getting in the center hole can cause IP trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online