1990 ford diesel axle options.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I dont have the parts books or access to them and was wondering what axle options came with the F 250 and F 350 diesel trucks? And I'd like to install a cover that has the fill hole in it on the rear axle.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
What are you looking to do? the stock rears are Sterling 10-1/4 or Dana 70. is yours blown up?

the sterling has a fill plug on the housing. its on the drivers side.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I was thinking about putting duals on and a flat bed. It's not blown by no means, or do you think the stock cover will work? But my uncle told me it would be more work I'd have to get the 1 ton dual axles to make it look right, he said there about a half inch to and inch shorter. But I think I'll just put the factory bed on it and keep it like it is.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
dunno Ive never messed with DRWs.

Are you talking about the pumpkin cover? I guess I'm confused as to what you are asking. the fill port is on the side of the pumpkin on the sterling. you only need to remove the cover if you want to drain the fluid.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My 94 f350 has the 10.25 rear. I was confused as how to add fluid because I couldn't find a fill plug anywhere, so I pulled the vss and put it in through there.
I can't help you with any measurements, since mine is a chassis cab.

You can get covers that have a fill plug though. Even a dipstick.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
ok the fill plug is on the drivers side. IIRC it takes a 3/8 square drive to fit it. Its there trust me but it might be covered in grease.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I was thinking about putting duals on and a flat bed. It's not blown by no means, or do you think the stock cover will work? But my uncle told me it would be more work I'd have to get the 1 ton dual axles to make it look right, he said there about a half inch to and inch shorter. But I think I'll just put the factory bed on it and keep it like it is.

You either have the dually axle from an F350 drw or you have the DRW from C n C truck.

This F350 drw axle is the same axle as the HD250's, but its longer in width, and a few other things. You could do adapters to your axle or look into buying one from a truck DRW.

Look through these threads and it will tell you what you need to know, im about to hop in bed from working all night so im to lazy to search through lol.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...-Got-Pictures-of-F350-Single-Cab-Dually/page4
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?61878-SRW-to-Dually
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?62427-What-is-the-difference

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found it long time ago I was thinking how come this is here insted on the cover??

Thats just the differences between the Dana and Sterling engineers as to where the fill plug should go. Sterlings fill to bottom of hole, Dana's fill to 1/2" below the hole. If you want a cover with a hole in it there are aftermarket covers with holes in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online