1990 Ford Bronco 4BT swap

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using a local powder coating company I've done business with before; they're called M&M Powder Coating.

I actually bought five of these H2 wheels, I plan on running a full-size spare on a bumper tire carrier. The total is $60/wheel.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am using a local powder coating company I've done business with before; they're called M&M Powder Coating.

I actually bought five of these H2 wheels, I plan on running a full-size spare on a bumper tire carrier. The total is $60/wheel.
Wow, that's not bad at all! ;Sweet Thanks!

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the powder coated H2 wheels back!

After a bit of a delay, I have some good news:

You must be registered for see images attach

The wheels were dusty when I picked them up. I wanted to blow them off with some compressed air once I got home for the picures. I looked around and realized I don't have a blower attachment for my air compressor. So I just wiped them off with a linty-ass rag I had laying around. That's what you're seeing on the powder coating in the next two pics:

In the next two pics you can see what the wheels will look like on the Sterling. The hub will be painted so it will look mo' betta.

I am very pleased with M&M Powder Coating in Vancouver, WA. I did business there six or seven years ago when it was under different ownership and management. The current general manager, Scott, is a pleasure to do business with. These wheels do not look perfect under close inspection, but considering what I had when I started this process, I am more than satisfied with the finished product. Once they're on the BKO, from three feet away they will look good. I can't ask for more than that.

I highly recommend M&M Powder Coating to anyone in the Vancouver/Portland area looking to get something sandblasted or powder coated. I will definitely do business there again. ;Sweet

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Those came out really nice Brandon. I like how they will be total one offs that nobody else will have. Did you already say on here what tires you are going to run with them?

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you already say on here what tires you are going to run with them?

I'm leaning towards either Toyo Open Country A/T IIs or BFG All Terrain T/A KO 2s. I would like to run a 37X13.50s, but that isn't set in stone. It depends on how everything ends up with the axle swaps and final ride height. I don't want it to look out of proportion.

Last edited:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Hey man, back to the E4OD, have you thought through the kit you will need to make this shift? Just curious because the next one I build will be an auto...

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just been thumbing through your build... looks nice.

I saw you picked up an hx30w charger for it... pair it with an hx35w (12cm housing) and you'll be really impressed. I started out with the stock h1c on my 4bt... then went to a single hx30w (6cm housing) and set boost at 25psi. Ran really well with the fuel turned up a bit and the stock fuel pin turned to the deepest point. Then I built a compound setup for it using an hx35w with the 30. Right now, the pump is maxed out.. stock injectors and fuel pin with water ****. Practically zero smoke.. 38-40psi of boost and nearly instant response. Power is great.

Keep pushing along!

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey man, back to the E4OD, have you thought through the kit you will need to make this shift? Just curious because the next one I build will be an auto...

My plan was to run a stand-alone Powertrain Control Solutions TCM-2000 transmission controller with programming by Jason of www.transmissiontuner.com (I talked with him over the phone last year, he's a pretty sharp guy. If you have transmission tuning questions, give him a call.)

However, I just went on PCS' website for the first time in several months and I see they have "call for pricing" on the 1989-1994 E4OD harness listing... I wonder what that means. They used to be $190, just like the rest of their harnesses.

dbshelton

Reaction score
I agree with contacting Jason at trans tuner. VERY sharp guy! Just tuned my 5R110 in my bus this Winter. It's great.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I contacted PCS and talked with one of their techs, Fred. He said that there isn't much demand for E4ODs (especially the earlier series, 1989-1994). I am still waiting on a reply to my email specifically about the early E4OD wiring harness availability, but I won't be terribly surprised if it's been discontinued.

I will wait to make a final determination until I hear definitively whether the harness is still available or not; but if PCS has stopped manufacturing the early E4OD harness, I may go with a different auto transmission. The good thing is, if I do, I'm only out $50 I paid for the tranny. Not a terribly expensive inconvenience.

dbshelton

Reaction score
Have you looked into the US Shift controller? I think it's available for an E4OD trans. I run one in my Cobra (4R70W) and it works great. Real simple to work with.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked into the US Shift controller? I think it's available for an E4OD trans. I run one in my Cobra (4R70W) and it works great. Real simple to work with.

When I decided to go with an E4OD, I looked at US Shift but decided to go with PCS. Thanks for reminding me, I had completely forgotten about them. ;Sweet

I took a look on their website and they have a wiring harness available for the early E4OD. I also watched a video they have on the initial setup of an E4OD with the provided software. Looks pretty straightforward.

Which controller of theirs are you using, the Quick 1 or Quick 4?

dbshelton

Reaction score
It's really easy to setup. I've been using the Quick 1 for several years but I have been considering going to the Quick 4.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the us shift controller on my 80e. Works great... doesn't have all the bells and whistles bit for half the price, it has worked flawlessly. Tuning was also pretty straight forward.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talked with one of the PCS techs. Come to find out, a mistake had been made; the 1989-1994 E4OD wiring harness is now available on their website.